Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums General Discussions Why Religious Organizations Dependent On Donations Forever?

Tagged: 

• Why Religious Organizations Dependent On Donations Forever?

Posted by Nadeem Minhas on October 6, 2022 at 1:06 pm

It may not be religiously prohibited to ask for donations to run a Masjid or a religious organization, but it doesn’t sound right to ask donations forever.

First, many donors are concerned if their money is being properly used.

Second, expansion of organization or upgrades to a mosque never ends. So they always keep asking for donations for upgrades or to run the organization.

Why not by design part of donations is invested into an income generating asset to earn steady income to reach independence from donations one day?

Faisal Haroon replied 1 year, 5 months ago 3 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • Why Religious Organizations Dependent On Donations Forever?

Faisal Haroon updated 1 year, 5 months ago 3 Members · 6 Replies
  • Nadeem Minhas

Member October 6, 2022 at 1:14 pm

Furthermore, I have seen some mosques either sell some items each Friday, invite vendors to sell items, arrange Eid parties, Iftar gatherings and other events to make money. People are willing to buy items even at slightly higher cost just to help the organization and to get together and socialize with people of the same faith. This is much better than forever surviving on donations.

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator October 6, 2022 at 5:52 pm

Nadeem sahab this is a great idea but unfortunately not appropriate for the Ask Ghamidi platform. Please see:

https://ask.ghamidi.org/code-of-conduct/#4

• Nadeem Minhas

Member October 7, 2022 at 5:53 pm

Thank you brother Faisal. I apologize for bringing up something that doesn’t meet guideline. I will review the guidelines carefully.

Perhaps there was a hidden question in there asking what our religion says about forever donations. Is it allowed encouraged, discouraged or our religion is neutral?

• Umer

Moderator October 7, 2022 at 11:03 pm

• Nadeem Minhas

Member October 8, 2022 at 7:13 am

Than you brother Umer. Actually my question originally came from watching this video.

1. If truly someone is taking care of parents, siblings, cousins, neighbors, etc. in poor country like Pakistan, there will be very few people in Pakistan who will have money left to give to educational organization.

2. My original question actually was related to an organization designed to be run on forever donations; instead of being financially independent at some point.

Where do our religion stand on organizations designed based on forever donations model?

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator October 8, 2022 at 9:30 am

In a state run according to Islamic principles, mosques are supposed to be run by the government. If governments are not doing their job, it is still a collective responsibility of the society. There is no legislation in the Sharia against an organization that perpetually runs on donations of the members of the society. However, if certain people can creatively make such organizations self sustaining then of course it is commendable and I am sure that it will be counted as a virtuous deed on their part.

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register