Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums General Discussions Issue Regarding Disrespect Of Symbols And Emblems Of Allah

• Issue Regarding Disrespect Of Symbols And Emblems Of Allah

Posted by Mohammad Ali Soomro on October 14, 2022 at 8:01 am

Hello there, there are some Ahadiths that are narrated.

Sunan Abi Dawud 480

Abu Sa’id al-khudri said

The Prophet (ﷺ) liked the twigs of the date-palm, and he often had one of them in his hand. He entered the mosque and saw phlegm in the wall towards qiblah and he scraped it. He then turned towards people in anger and said: Is any one of you is pleased to spit in his face? When any of you faces qiblah, he indeed faces his Lord, the Majestic the Glorious: the angels are at right side. Therefore, he should not spit on his right side or before him towards qiblah. He should spit towards his left side or beneath his foot. If he is in a hurry, he should do so-and-so. Describing it Ibn ‘Ajlan said: He should spit in his cloth and fold a part of it over the other

URL: https://sunnah.com/abudawud:480

Sahih al-Bukhari 417

Narrated Anas

The Prophet (peace be upon him) saw expectation (on the wall of the mosque) in the direction of the Qibla and scraped it off with his hand. It seemed that he disliked it and the sign of disgust was apparent from his face. He said, “If anyone of you stands for the prayer, he is speaking in private to his Lord, (or) his Lord is between him and his Qibla, therefore he should not spit towards his Qibla, but he could spit either on his left or under his foot.” Then he took the corner of his sheet and spat in it, folded it and said, “Or do this.”

URL: https://sunnah.com/bukhari:417

And for answering call of nature facing Kabah some Ahadiths.

Jami` at-Tirmidhi 8

Abu Ayyub Al-Ansari narrated that

Allah’s Messenger said: “When one of you arrives to defecate, then let none of you face the Qiblah while defecate, nor while urinating. And do not have your back towards it, but have it east of you or west of you.”

URL https://sunnah.com/tirmidhi:8

Sahih al-Bukhari 394

Narrated Abu Aiyub Al-Ansari:

The Prophet (ﷺ) said, “While defecting, neither face nor turn your back to the Qibla but face either east or west.” Abu Aiyub added. “When we arrived in Sham we came across some lavatories facing the Qibla; therefore we turned ourselves while using them and asked for God’s forgiveness.”

https://sunnah.com/bukhari:394

Now my question arises that what is the nature of prohibition here, considering the usool of religion, and the Sunnah. On what category does it fall? Is it Haram or makruh.

Secondly, as people say that it is because of veneration of Kabah, so if someone does not intend to disrespect Kabah but urinate or defecates in direction facing or giving back to the Qibla, will he be sinful

Thirdly, that can these Ahadith be used to declare pointing of feet towards Qibla as Haram? As some people do?

Then some further questions arise that what is the criterion which is to decide what falls into category of disrespect of qibla or any religious symbol (eg a frame of ayat ul kursi or Quran) . I mean who is to decide what falls into this category and hence become Haram EVEN if the person doing it does not intend disrespect. Is it left for culture to decide? If it is so then wouldn’t this be inconsistent with which culture a person borns into and it would cause a lot of difficulty and the list would keep on growing. Or is it left for the intention of the person doing it? Or lastly, which would make most sense that it is Allah and his prophet to decide and then whatever is received or told by them, is to be treated in a way mentioned in Ahadith. Like only if a hadith or evidence from religion supports it, can it then be said that doing such such thing is Haram EVEN if we don’t intend to disrespect.

And in another dimension of question, as it has reached us through Akbhaar e Ahad then what religious status should it be given? Is it an eternal rule or was it specific for that particular incident and if we say that it was application of the rule that Allah’s symbol’s sanctity should not be violated, then again the question comes from where are we to derive the list of limits of sanctity? And hence going against them would be violation?

Mohammad Ali Soomro replied 1 year, 6 months ago 1 Member · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • Issue Regarding Disrespect Of Symbols And Emblems Of Allah

• Mohammad Ali Soomro

Member October 14, 2022 at 8:34 am

For example we know music in itself is not Haram but ahadith which are used for it’s prohibition are actually of applicative nature and said to be narrated because of some other Haram happening through them. So we know, as a rule, fahashi is Haram, in whatever Mubah thing it is found, it makes it prohibited to use. We understand the rule and we can definitely conclude easily where it is being applied hence we can easily tell what is prohibited what is not. But here even if we take as a rule that violation of sanctity of Allah’s symbol’s should not be done. Where can we conclude where actually it is being applied and where is it not?
    Please tell me if you couldn’t understand my question, I’ll explain further inshallah. I guess i may have confused you with long typing hahaha

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register