Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Islamic Sharia Validity Of Three Divorces Given In Three Separate Occasions In Anger

Tagged: 

• Validity Of Three Divorces Given In Three Separate Occasions In Anger

Posted by Muhammad on October 26, 2022 at 10:12 pm

As-salamu alaykum,

I am going through an extremely tough time and I am really hoping someone can help me find an answer to the dilemma I am facing. I on three separate occasions in extreme anger while arguing with my wife , told her that I divorce her. All the three times when I said it, I said I divorce you three times. Two times was in person and the third time was via text messages. Is my marriage still valid or have I divorced my wife? The confusion is that all three times I said it in extreme anger and after immediately saying it, I wanted to take it back. Can someone please help me?

Umer replied 1 year, 4 months ago 3 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • Validity Of Three Divorces Given In Three Separate Occasions In Anger

Umer updated 1 year, 4 months ago 3 Members · 5 Replies
  • Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar October 27, 2022 at 1:42 am

If the divorce is not intentional, planned or well thought of, and happened in some extreme imbalance of temperament, it can be revoked depening upon the statement and examination of the situation by the arbitrator. In your case it happened for three times, which is usually not likely. However, if you are sure your temprament was not in your control everytime, this divorce can be revoked.

Pronouncing divorces three times or more on a single occasion is actually one divorce, because occasions are counted, not the number of pronoucement, in principal.

If all three divorces are pronounced within a single period of Iddat, this still can be counted as one divorce, if considered vaild, though this is violation of the way divorce is supposed to make.

If three divorces are pronounced on three different occasions, before which reconciliaion was made after first and seocnd divorce during Iddat, now the third divorce is the final one and reconciliaion is not possible.

• Muhammad

Member October 27, 2022 at 7:44 am

Thank you very much Dr Irfan for your valuable feedback. I just had a follow up question -The third divorce was said within a month of the second divorce which means that it was given during the period of iddat does that mean the third divorce doesn’t count? Also, 100% I said it in extreme anger where my wife had disrespected my mother and in an argument had disrespected my family. I wanted to take it back as soon as I got back into my senses. Is the divorce still revocable?

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar October 28, 2022 at 12:54 am

Yes, if counted, it is second divorce within iddat.

If you honestly think it was in extreme anger when things go out of controle, it can be revoked.

Find other ways or expressions to vent anger.

• Muhammad

Member November 1, 2022 at 6:39 am

Dr. Irfan , I need to get a fatwa issued for this. Can you help me with it? Or point me towards the right direction? Where can I get a fatwa from? Thank you very much for your help

• Umer

Moderator November 1, 2022 at 11:30 pm

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register