Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Islamic Sharia Breaking Promise With Allah And Its Compensation

Tagged: ,

• Breaking Promise With Allah And Its Compensation

Posted by Daniyaa Khan on October 31, 2022 at 6:12 am

What is the islamic rulling on breaking promises? If i did a promise to ALLAH not Vow a promise by saying ALLAH I promise i won’t do this act again whatever it is and i did it again what will be the punishment? Is it forgivable?

Is breaking promise that i did to Allah as i mention is a major sin or it comes in minor sin?

Does it have any kaffara?

Umer replied 1 year, 5 months ago 3 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • Breaking Promise With Allah And Its Compensation

Umer updated 1 year, 5 months ago 3 Members · 8 Replies
  • Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar October 31, 2022 at 11:00 pm

Vow and promise here are the same things. If it is about something sinful, you committed two crimes, earned the sin, and broke the vow. One should immediately repent, ask for forgiveness, and if possible make compensation.

Its being a major or minor sin depends upon the intensity of the act.

• Daniyaa Khan

Member November 1, 2022 at 7:44 am

But apart from commiting sin which can be minor or major breaking promise is individually lies in the category of major sin or Minor sins?? Thats what I am asking

I read somewhere it is 21th no major sin is it true? and some scholars say it is not mandatory to fullfil a promise some say its mandatory

• Umer

Moderator November 1, 2022 at 1:48 am

Please also see:

Discussion 61578

• Daniyaa Khan

Member November 1, 2022 at 7:39 am

Sir @UmerQureshi

“The term promise is at times used in the meaning of sincere try / sincere struggle to achieve something and it is also used synonymous with an Oath. Therefore, it comes down to your intention, whether you were making such a promise with solemn intention of an Oath or not, if not, then there’s no atonement, and if it’s the other way round, then there will be atonement as mentioned in the above verses. From the limited information available, it seems like your promises were not with the intention of a solemn oath. However, you can decide your situation in a much better way.”

here in your answer can you tell me the meaning of statement from “Therefore” to “Above verse”

• Daniyaa Khan

Member November 1, 2022 at 7:47 am

But let say I didn’t say will do this and that if that happens like we say in oaths/vow. I just said I promise ALLAH i will not do this etc what will it be considered. promise or oaths? do my promise has kaffara?

Are oaths/promises/Vows are three different things?

• Umer

Moderator November 2, 2022 at 1:12 am

It comes down to your intentions at the time of making such oath/vow/promise as Quran makes a person accountable for oaths taken with solemn intention as mentioned in Quran 5:89. If there was no solemn intention, then merely using such words promise or vow do no make one accountable. Was your intention actually of swearing an Oath in front of Allah or not? if yes, then there will be kaffara as well. Sometimes we inadvertently make such promises without intending them to be a solmen oath, for example, one may say that I promise to Allah to be a better person in future, here chances are more likely that this promise actually refers to try and struggle and not a solemn oath. You can assess your situation accordingly.

However it is recommended to not make such promises so casually.

• Daniyaa Khan

Member November 1, 2022 at 12:16 pm

If a person says ALLAH forgive me i promise i won’t do this act again and he/she do it again he will do kaffara and ask forgiveness and then said i will not do this act again but not make a promise that time and after sometime if he/she did this act again will everytime he/she do this act will there be “gunnah” for two sins

1- that promise he did kaffara

2- the actual act he asked forgiveness

or after kaffara there will no longer “gunnah” of that one promise that i mentioned above

• Umer

Moderator November 2, 2022 at 1:14 am

After kaffara, the Oath will no longer be valid and hence it won’t carry any sin of breaking oath afterward.

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register