Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Sources of Islam Issue About Polytheistic Photographs And Symbols And Their Artistic Beauty

Tagged: , ,

• Issue About Polytheistic Photographs And Symbols And Their Artistic Beauty

Posted by Mohammad Ali Soomro on November 5, 2022 at 5:09 am

Assalamualaikum,

Hello there,

We know that prohibition for image making was regarding this images that are made with belief of Shirk or made so that worship of them be done etc, or that through it sentiments of shirk are conducted in minds

So i guess all those signs which are of some other religion and have some meaning of an idea or incident of Kufr it Shirk would also fall in the same category? ( Like cross, and trident sign, which in Greek mythology is the sign of Poseidon, their god of water)

My question is that if any such images or signs (Idols of Hindus, cross, Trident or flags of European countries with cross symbolizing crucification like of England etc) are made for example made in screen of phone, and THAT image that is made in the screen does not stimulate any sentiments of shirk into someone’s mind or are used for worship or made with belief of shirk regarding them, and then they are destroyed (when screen closes or video ends etc). And thus it provides no pathway to Shirk at all. Would it take it out of the realm of prohibition? Or still because it would trigger sentiments of shirk if shown to Hindu or other religion’s person (Or even if the image in computer is not worshiped but it is of an object and that object in itself would trigger sentiments of shirk if shown to some Hindu person etc) this would still make it Haram?

In short, if i watch some movie or a documentary about some other religion and i know something like that would come up in my screen and i let it be that way, it comes in my computer screen, stays there’s and gets destroyed/finishes, would i be sinful? Even though that image was made on my screen was not even close to being seen by such person or made with any belief of shirk regarding them.

Dr. Irfan Shahzad replied 1 year, 5 months ago 2 Members · 9 Replies
  • 9 Replies
  • Issue About Polytheistic Photographs And Symbols And Their Artistic Beauty

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar November 7, 2022 at 12:48 am

Watching or reading about shirk and its manifestations are not haram. it is a matter of study. Even praising them for their artistry is not haram. Haram is to adopt them, adore them and perform worship rituals in front of them, no matter whether they stimulate shirk or not. Anything associated with shirk is a matter of abhorrence for a Muslim.

• Mohammad Ali Soomro

Member November 7, 2022 at 7:37 am

@Irfan76 sir but we see that in hadith that angels so not entered in prophet’s house where there were images but obviously those images present there were not being worshiped or adopted (but as ghamidi Sahab said that it’s because they were sensitive about those images which were normally used for shirk etc). But we see they not coming there. So similarly wouldn’t it make a hindrance in their entrance when we have for a while an image like this in our screen, although we are not worshipping them but for others they are things for worshipping, i mean it makes an analogous scenario, wouldn’t it affect angels coming? And the way it is described, Ulema say that even keeping such images is Haram, so how can we respond?

And sir secondly, we see that there is some sort of prohibition that’s said to be stated in bible as well, in ten commandments prohibiting images?

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar November 7, 2022 at 8:39 am

Their are different narrations of which you made a whole which is not correct. Pictures in the prophet house were objected for they were a source of attraction for word. The prophet then had decided go lead a simple life due to the financial conditions of that time.

The other Hadith which tells that Angels don’t enter a house where there are pictures are about pictures of deities.

We take principle of prohibition from Quran. Hadith is their applications. Nothing is prohibited without a reason.

• Mohammad Ali Soomro

Member November 7, 2022 at 8:41 am

@irfan76 Sir but aren’t those pictures also of dieties that if we see in computer for example while watching something on Buddhism or Hinduism etc

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar November 7, 2022 at 8:47 am

In the prophet house ? They were of birds. And Hazrat Ayesh did not discard them. She took down the curtains and made pillow covers out of them.

• Mohammad Ali Soomro

Member November 7, 2022 at 8:50 am

@irfan76 No sir i guess you misunderstood me, i meant that those pictures that are of dieties of some religion, but it is displayed in our home like for example watching video or documentary on Hinduism or Buddhism, if those images make up in screen of laptop, would it also incur sin, as for being hindrance for Angels?

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar November 7, 2022 at 8:57 am

As answered above no. Only if when they are adopted.

• Mohammad Ali Soomro

Member November 7, 2022 at 9:35 pm

@Irfan76 Sir another thing comes into mind,

As mentioned in the Hadith in the link, we see that Hazrat jibraeel did not come to prophet because of a picture inside home, here if we say that those pictures were of something that was revered and worshiped by people, even if it was in the house, it’s obvious that it was not adopted in the house of Prophet, but we see Hazrat jibraeel not entering the house, so by the same analogy, if a picture of Gautama Buddha or a Hindu idol or a Cross comes up in the computer screen, we are obviously not adopting it, but still it can be a hindrance for Angels. İ mean i just tried to draw the same analogy. So what makes our situation and that Hadith,s situation different.

And secondly sir, is it necessary that if Angels do not come because of it then mere keeping such thing must be an act of sin? For example in another example, about keeping dogs, they do not come when they are present in house, so it’s there personal sensitivity that they do not come? And if even a person allows a non tamed dog inside the house, even though Angels do not come, is it necessary that it is sin for that person who allowed it?

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar November 9, 2022 at 4:30 am

The narration of Jibrael tells that He did not enter the house because there was a dog, not pictures. Then when he met the prophet he told that angels do not enter a house where there is dog or picture.

Angels do come to everyone to take their souls even if one is in the temple of idols. This is Jibrael’s disposition, that he does not feel like being there where there is a dog. Just like some human beings who feel uncomfortable if there is some dog or cat etc.

So don’t worry about other angels. The ones sitting on your shoulders to record your deeds never leave you.

When a thing is not a sin, it does not incur sin.

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register