Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Islamic Sharia Tasmiya For Halal Meat

• Tasmiya For Halal Meat

Posted by Azeem on November 6, 2022 at 4:41 am

I understand that one has to say allah’s name before slaughtering an animal as it is an act of aggression to take an animal’s life.

My question is that if I buy meat from a store then what tasmiya has to do with me at the time of slaughter. Isnt it between Allah and the slaughterer?

I mean I am not going through that aggression, its the slaughterer who is dealing with that situation.

Is tasmiya required to validate the meat to be halal? Is there anything more to the aggression while killing the animal?

Faisal Haroon replied 1 year, 5 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • Tasmiya For Halal Meat

Faisal Haroon updated 1 year, 5 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • Faisal Haroon

Moderator November 6, 2022 at 3:15 pm

There are two things to consider when we talk about meat to be halal for consumption: tazkiya (draining of blood at the time of slaughtering) and tasmiya (reciting Allah’s name at the time of slaughtering). In Ghamidi sahab’s view both are absolute requirements. However, in Imam Shafi’s view, while tazkiya is still a requirement, tasmiya is a sunnah that if one doesn’t perform, the meat is still halal.

Please do research and accept the opinion that you find more credible on the basis of provided arguments.

If one accepts tasmiya as an absolute requirement, then they should understand that this requirement is for consumption, not slaughtering. One should, therefore, not knowingly ignore this requirement.

For reference, please watch the following video from 1:05:03 to 1:14:07 where Ghamidi sahab discusses the difference of viewpoints regarding tasmiya:

The discussion "Tasmiya For Halal Meat" is closed to new replies.

Start of Discussion
0 of 0 replies June 2018
Now