Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Islamic Sharia Permissibility Criteria For Income

Tagged: , ,

• Permissibility Criteria For Income

Posted by Rehman Ali on November 15, 2022 at 5:48 am

Assalamu Alaikum. I want to know what is the criteria to know if the income or earning is halal.

If we work in a software house in a 3rd world country, where the sales agents use pseudo names to call USA or Canada people and sell the website or other services. What if we do our work that is required like Marketing or Branding for a company where are working for.

Will our income be halal or haram? I heard that the person is only accountable for his deeds from a scholar. I am not sure what good or bad the company does. However, the company is running.

So, please help me to know what things to consider here.

Also, the second important part of my question:

what if the salary was not halal (let’s assume in the above case), and we didn’t know it entirely (only slight feelings) and we purchased software to work as freelancer. If the money by which the software bought wasn’t halal, and we didn’t know it, and then we use that software to work for clients, will the income generating from that will be halal or not?

Please help. Jazak ALLAH

Faisal Haroon replied 1 year, 4 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • Permissibility Criteria For Income

Faisal Haroon updated 1 year, 4 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • Faisal Haroon

Moderator November 15, 2022 at 1:56 pm

One’s income is halal by default. All prohibitions are in the realm of morality. If one makes any money by, for example, deceiving others, lying, stealing, cheating, usurping the rights of others, being unethical, or doing legally unlawful transactions then such money is haram. Similarly, shirk (polytheism) is also prohibited as well in such transactions because it is immoral in that we make unsubstantiated claims regarding God.

Using non-real names in call center environments is generally not anything immoral because the names of employees have no material effect on the business transactions they undertake. Of course, if non-real names are used to deceive customers then that would be immoral.

If you earn any money through haram means and then later realize your mistake, the key thing is to take appropriate actions to fix the error, humble yourself in front of God, and sincerely repent to God for your mistake.

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register