To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums General Discussions Getting Rewards For Every Permissible

• Getting Rewards For Every Permissible

Posted by Mohammad Ali Soomro on November 19, 2022 at 6:15 am

Hello there!

My question is that there’s a Hadith that says

Sahih Muslim 1006

Abu Dharr reported:

some of the people from among the Companions of the Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) said to him: Messenger of Allah, the rich have taken away (all the) reward. They observe prayer as we do; they keep the fasts as we keep, and they give Sadaqa out of their surplus riches. Upon this he (the Holy Prophet) said: Has Allah not prescribed for you (a course) by following which you can (also) do sadaqa? In every declaration of the glorification of Allah (i. e. saying Subhan Allah) there is a Sadaqa, and every Takbir (i. e. saying Allah-O-Akbar) is a sadaqa, and every praise of His (saying al-Hamdu Lillah) is a Sadaqa and every declaration that He is One (La illha ill-Allah) is a sadaqa, and enjoining of good is a sadaqa, and forbidding of that which is evil is a Sadaqa, and in man’s sexual Intercourse (with his wife, ) there is a Sadaqa. They (the Companions) said: Messenger of Allah, is there reward for him who satisfies his sexual passion among us? He said: Tell me, if he were to devote it to something forbidden, would it not be a sin on his part? Similarly, if he were to devote it to something lawful, he should have a reward.”

So can it be said through this hadith that every act done or a need fulfilled through a Permissible way gets us a reward, no matter if our intention was to please Allah or not?

Or here it emphasizes that every need fulfilled through permissible act with the intention inside, to guard oneself from fulfilling it through Haram means, this is what gets us rewards?

In first case example, i go to an invitation where there is both fish and pork meat and i felt hungry, then i normally and naturally went ahead and reached fish meat’s table first, so i ate fish meat and went back. And now i earn rewards

In second case example, i again go to an invitation where both meats are present, now i felt hunger. So here my intention is to be safe from falling into sin and displease Allah, so i went ahead and chose to quench my hunger through eating fish meat as i wanted to protect myself from ending up eating pork meat under hunger and thus earn Allah’s displeasure. And with this intention i earn rewards

So what is the the correct analogy of this hadith explanation?

Mohammad Ali Soomro replied 1 year, 4 months ago 2 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • Getting Rewards For Every Permissible

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar November 21, 2022 at 12:52 am

Muslims are trained in doing certain good acts such a way that sometimes they do them so habitually and that they feel they are doing for their own good only. But at the level of sub consciousness they adopt a certain behavoir because that is what their religion want them to do, and if asked to go against it, they suddenly realize by saying no, God forbid.

Sometimes our intentions are not afore but they are there. However, it is better to remember time to time thay all our good acts are to please God.

On the contrary, those who do good acts but deliberately deny to please God, Quan says that they will have no reward in the hereafter. All their good deeds are reward here during their life time.

• Mohammad Ali Soomro

Member November 21, 2022 at 1:11 am

@irfan76 sir so here, we can say that at an sub conscious level if our intention of doing that thing is to keep ourself far from Allah’s displeasure then it becomes a source of rewards, the more the prominent and mindful the intention is the more rewards we may get, and if at sometime someone’s intentions for a good act is not to please Allah at all, so it won’t be a sin but the person would miss out on a rewards (share in hereafter for that particular instance of deed at that time). For example if a person helps to treat a sick man, but for a payment ( like doctor). Then at that instance he would be missing on rewards in hereafter but won’t be sinning as well. So similarly if someone becomes intimate with his wife with intentions to either please Allah or to stay away as much as he can from Allah’s displeasure by quenching his desire through unlawful means, so at that time he would be getting rewards. But at some instance even at a subconscious level his intention at that time is not to please Allah in this way but for some other reason then he would miss out on good deeds and hence a share in hereafter for that particular deed. For example a person becomes sexually involved with his wife at a particular instance on her request, so he doesn’t want to make her sad and he does this only to make her happy (not making her happy for sake of Allah, but for the intrinsic love for her). So at that time he won’t be sinning but actually missing out on rewards in hereafter, just like example of doctor, Am i understanding right sir?

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar November 21, 2022 at 1:27 am

At some points you are right, at some other you are not.

A doctor charges for his services and doing his job with honesty is worthy to deserve reward if he is doing it with fear of God that if he is dishonest he will be accountable to God.

The same ways, a man who answers his wife call deserves reward for taking care of the creature of God despite his discomfort. So if his intention is not involved in one way, it is involved in another way. However if a person is for example an atheist or person who never cared about God, he or she can’t have any intention to please God. So they will not be rewarded in the hereafter.

• Mohammad Ali Soomro

Member November 21, 2022 at 1:45 am

@irfan76 yes sir i understand, but even for the sake of understanding, for example if we say that at that particular instance he did not have intention to please Allah. So that won’t be counted as sin but as missing out on reward for that particular instance of deed in hereafter, right?

But at another instance separate from it, when he has intention to please Allah then again he gets rewards, right sir?

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar November 21, 2022 at 1:55 am

Yes. But don’t make it so mathematical. It is all about pleasing God this way or that way.

• Mohammad Ali Soomro

Member November 21, 2022 at 1:57 am

@irfan76 thank you sir🌹

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register