Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums General Discussions Apparent Contradiction In Story Of Prophet Lot(PBUH) Between Surah Hijr And Hud

• Apparent Contradiction In Story Of Prophet Lot(PBUH) Between Surah Hijr And Hud

Posted by Rauf on November 20, 2022 at 2:18 am

There is an apparent contradiction in order of events between two versions of story of Prophet Lut and his Qawm.

The events are –

Event 1) The messengers arrive
    Event 2) They introduce themselves to Prophet Lut, ask him to leave with his family and inform him of the punishment to his Qawm
    Event 3) The people of the town rush to Prophet Lut to ask him to give the men over

In Surah Hijr(relevant verses 15:61 – 15:67), Event 2 happens before Event 3. However in Surah Hud, (relevant verses 11:77 to 11:81), Event 3 happens before Event 2.

Can some please explain this contradiction?

Rauf replied 1 year, 4 months ago 2 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • Apparent Contradiction In Story Of Prophet Lot(PBUH) Between Surah Hijr And Hud

Rauf updated 1 year, 4 months ago 2 Members · 7 Replies
  • Taimur Mughal

Member November 20, 2022 at 8:49 am

I have checked it and I don’t see any contradiction.

It’s just been told in another manner. In both the punishment comes in the morning. In both angels tell they will destroy the people so Prophet Lut has to go in the night. In both surahs the people came for the angels. And angels warned Lut not to be stressed.

So in my opinion I don’t see any contradiction. Chronological as well. First angels came, then the talked to Lut then people came for angels and angels were telling Lut probably once again not to be stressed and leave at night. And in the morning they are destroied.

• Rauf

Member November 20, 2022 at 9:32 am

There is no indication in the verses (from the translations that I read) in Surah Hud that they were repeating something they had already said before. With respect, it seems like you are just assuming that they were “telling Lut probably once again” to somehow reconcile the verses instead of what the plain reading of the verse actually suggests.

Also, I am pretty sure it wasn’t a repetition, since in Surah Hud, right before the angels say what they say, Prophet Lut says,

Quran 11: 80

He said: ‘Would that I had the strength to set you straight, or could seek refuge in some powerful support.’

This is something he wouldn’t say after the angels had already assured him of God’s help and how to escape with his family.

• Taimur Mughal

Member November 20, 2022 at 9:54 am

When angels came to Lut , they obviosuly introduced themselves and they would have talked obvioduly. Also before that they went to Abraham. And Abraham did not knew they were angels. So probably Lut also did not knew they were angels first. They would have talked and told him their mission.

Then people came for the angels. Lot probably tried to defend the situation and angels calmed him and assured maybe once again to leave at night. You see you have to use your mind here. Quran does not tell us all the details of the story in a specific scientific chronological order But gives us important scenes from the entire story. I don’t know how you are making this claim that there is a contradiction. I don’t see any. Kindly elaborate.

• Rauf

Member November 20, 2022 at 12:12 pm

You say “scientific chronological order” as if it’s some very complex requirement when actually its the most natural way to tell a story, especially if it’s a description of a single episode that took place over a day.
      It’s fine to only mention the important scenes, but it’s strange if they are in a different order in different versions, unless there is some reason behind it, literary or otherwise. When in two versions of the same story, the events happen in a different order, it is natural to find it a bit strange and contradictory. Also, I already explained earlier why the repeat assurance explanation doesn’t make sense. Prophet Lot wouldn’t despair and say he “wished” he had some strength or support if the angels had already introduced them to him and told him about God’s plan.

Thanks for your attempts at answering the question. If it makes sense to you, that’s good, but I don’t find it satisfactory. I’ll appreciate it if someone else with more knowledge on this can answer the question.

• Taimur Mughal

Member November 20, 2022 at 1:36 pm

One last attempt brother as I am learning too with this. InshAllah someone more knowledgeable will reply.

But surah Hud verse 81 explains it all.

When these angels came Lot did not knew there were messengers or angels. They were telling him about punishment that these people are denying. Then people came and wanted the young men [ angels]! lot wished for support and help as in verse mentioned! Then the angels said we are messengers ; to make clear they are angels send by God to destroy this nation. So prophet Lut was talking to them first knowing them as humans and he did not knew what they were saying because he did not knew these were angels. Because he was trying to protect them!! He did not knew until he was wishing for support then after that those handsome men revealed they were actually messengers angels!! Saying these people won’t harm him he has to leave at night!

• Rauf

Member November 20, 2022 at 7:44 pm

Sorry, that doesn’t make any sense whatsoever. I don’t want to spend time in speculative debates on this forum. Please only answer if you have studied the subject and are sure about the answer. Otherwise, just giving your version or attempts to answer is wasting everyone’s time as well as just adding unnecessary noise in the thread which makes it difficult to get to the actual answer.

Sorry, I don’t mean to be rude, and I don’t know if AskGhamidi team agrees with this or not, but this has happened before to me on this site and is the number one annoying thing on this forum.

• Rauf

Member November 21, 2022 at 8:25 am

Please reply to this question when possible. Thanks.

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register