Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums General Discussions Tazkiya-e-Nafs

• Tazkiya-e-Nafs

Posted by Jazeb Tariq on November 21, 2022 at 12:33 am

Assalamu Alaikum,

There is a speaker by the name of Sahil Adeem that has been gaining popularity recently and he seems to be specifically against the opinion of Ghamidi Sahab that the true goal of deen is Tazkiya-e-Nafas. He makes a few very compelling and convincing arguments as well. My question is what is the difference between the Tazkiya-e-Nafs preached by Sufis Vs. What Ghamidi Sahab is teaching and what kind of social, political obligations does an individual have within the relm of this Tazkiya? Thank you.

Jazeb Tariq replied 1 year, 5 months ago 2 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • Tazkiya-e-Nafs

Jazeb Tariq updated 1 year, 5 months ago 2 Members · 8 Replies
  • Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar November 21, 2022 at 12:43 am

Sufia’s tazkia nafs is achieved by following a particular discourse devised by them and its goal is unification with the being of God. This idea came from paganism and the related philosophies. This has nothing to do with Islam. This all all about speculation and fantasies.

What Ghamidi saheb says about tazkia is all based on the clear versed of the Quran, not a speculative one. According to these verses, by acting upon Deen, Shariah and ethics, one achieves Tazkia and its reward is Jannah, where one will enjoy the eternal blessing of God and His pleasure.

• Jazeb Tariq

Member November 21, 2022 at 5:36 am

Thank you for the response. I understand the distinction between Sufi ideology and what Ghamidi Sahab is emphasizing. But the other half of the question is what is our role in the society, world politics, etc? Ghamidi Sahab himself was a great supporter of PTI in the past and had major interest in politics so I want to understand what his stance is in terms of political activism. Was hoping to find a video or lecture about it but did not find anything. I understand Tazkiya being the primary goal of our deen but what duties do we have towards these other matters?

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar November 22, 2022 at 12:35 am

People follow different careers according to their aptitude and skills. Islam demands to take care of one’s moral being no matter in what capacity one is in.

To pursue a social or political career is too desirable for the ones who like to pursue it. They need to observe the moral code of their career and follow if there are any injunctions given by Deen, for example, in politics, it is Consultation, which should be the fundamental principle of governance, and in economics, it is the usury that is forbidden.

• Jazeb Tariq

Member November 22, 2022 at 5:58 am

Thank you. I appreciate your response. But how can politics be considered as a career when it involves making decisions that basically influence everyday life such as taxation, law making, etc. For example, if in Pakistan only the crooked people choose politics as a career than the people that are honest and truthful are affected as well.

If a country/society has a shortage of doctors, doesn’t it become an obligation on the individual to take the responsibility of filling that gap. Just like that if there is a shortage of honest politicians, is it right for me to sit back and say that I prefer art as a career? If we leave everything to choice people will tend to take the easier option. Where is the responsibility in that? Isn’t deen supposed to teach us to take responsibility?

My intention is not to argue with your point. I have been struggling to clarify this concept for a while but just trying to figure out the answer in an intellectual manner given my limited knowledge. I appreciate your help!

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar November 22, 2022 at 10:41 pm

One cannot contest with natural aptitude. Seeing, for example, a deficiency of medical doctors cannot urge every individual to become a doctor, and even if it urges everyone still a few could become doctors. Those who are made doctors without their choice and aptitude cannot become good doctors even if they are honest. The same goes for every field.

Politics, too, is a career, a full-time job, and a matter of attitude. We can hope to get into it, but the credentials it requires cannot be found in everyone, no matter honest or not. This is reality.

Our duty is, if we find in ourselves aptitude and credentials for politics, we should come forward and do our job with honesty. But if we are not made for it, we should try to warn and advise the politicians to have God’s fear and do their job with honesty.

Man is not made responsible for things beyond his capacity.

• Jazeb Tariq

Member November 23, 2022 at 8:57 am

Beautifully explained! Thank you. I suppose at a philosophical level it maybe open for difference of opinion. For example, if a foreign country attacks your country does it not automatically become your responsibility to become a soldier even if you don’t have the aptitude for it? In certain situations, regardless of your aptitude you have to stand up and take the role that is required otherwise society will potentially collapse. In a cricket team if you have 11 people available but none of them is a good leader. One of them has to take up the responsibility regardless of whether he is good at it. What do you think?

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar November 23, 2022 at 10:00 pm

Self-defense is a natural instinct. It is not aptitude. It is found in every being. In a desperate situation, one follows one’s instinct for self-defense. Your second example is also of a desperate situation, still, the most suitable one will be chosen. Requirements for desperate situations cannot be applied to normal situations.

The quality of leadership cannot be created nor can be submerged. It can be polished if it is there.

• Jazeb Tariq

Member November 24, 2022 at 10:51 am

Ok, makes sense. Thank you for your response once again. There’s also a new series that started on the youtube channel named “Religion and the state” I’m following it closely. In Sha Allah will clear out any doubts. Thank you for your time and responses.

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register