Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Sources of Islam Beard As Sunnah Of Prophet Ibrahim SWS

• Beard As Sunnah Of Prophet Ibrahim SWS

Posted by Mohammad Ali Soomro on November 22, 2022 at 2:56 pm

Hello there my question is regarding Sunnah and the understanding of beard, i saw a video on YouTube from a channel, in which a man criticized ghamidi sahab’s stance on beard and presented some points and mentioning 2 of them here.

1) he said something like ghamidi sahab in his book Meezan used the references of the book “Mufassil” by Dr Javad Ali, to enlist the Sunnah e Ibrahim. But in the same book of Mufassil, it is also mentioned that Beard is also a Sunnah e Ibrahim. So if what they said and how they presented it is right, then why did Ghamidi Sahab did not include it in list etc.

2) As we say that Sunnah is transfered to us from Prophet Muhammad through Ijma and tawattur, and we can see this ijma and tawattur in books of fiqh of old times and establish the ruling of anything that is coming from Ijma. But how do we establish the same ijma that goes back to Hazrat Ibrahim, as they are Sunnah e Ibrahim? + And if we say that those Sunnah of Hazrat Ibrahim from him to Hazrat Muhammad, were also transmitted without ijma and tawattur, in a similar manner like Ahadith and after Hazrat Muhammad it became Ijma, then what stops us from thinking that even in our time, hadith is also a source of Ijma. And if it’s Ijma then again, What are the resources to establish that Ijma?

Sentences after ‘+’ are my own.

Dr. Irfan Shahzad replied 1 year, 4 months ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Beard As Sunnah Of Prophet Ibrahim SWS

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator November 22, 2022 at 3:45 pm

Ghamidi sahab has not taken his list of Sunnah from any book. He has derived them through the principles that he already listed in his book Meezan. You can also find these principles below:

Discussion 880

Additionally, Ghamidi sahab has discussed at length the topic of beard and any academic criticism on it in his Response to 23 Questions series which you can view below:

Discussion 45744

• Mohammad Ali Soomro

Member November 22, 2022 at 7:48 pm

@faisalharoon yes brother i understand this but the second question still remains in mind because it’s not addressed in both of these links. @Irfan76 sir can you explain it?

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar November 22, 2022 at 10:24 pm

Ijma and Tawatur started from the prophet Muhammad (PBUH). The prophet revived it taking guidance from God. Gabriel taught his five prayers and their timing. Some traditions were intact like circumcision and Mohramaat, and some were distorted like Hajj, The prophet revived the sunnah and then it came to us through Ijma and Tawatur.

Ahadith are not Mutawatar. They are occasional sayings and doings of the prophet. They are not agreed upon. They mention the sunnah but sunnah does not come from them. Sunnah comes from Ijma and Tawatur of Muslim community.

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register