Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Sources of Islam Quran 12:3-6 – Sun And Moon And Stars Prostrating

Tagged: ,

• Quran 12:3-6 – Sun And Moon And Stars Prostrating

Posted by Taimur Mughal on November 23, 2022 at 12:51 pm

In Surah Yusuf in the bezinning Yusuf says that he dreamt the and the moon & stars prostrating towards him. I read in tafseers as well that the sun was Prophet Jacob & Moon was Yusuf’s mother and stars were his brothers. My question is , when God says in the surah Yusuf saw Sun and Moon & stars prostrating towards him. Dis he saw his parents and brothers in dream prostrating or did He saw the planets? Because if he saw planets as he mentioned then I dont understand how do planets even prostrate ? What is the image? I do understand it is a metaphor but why does God used then this metaphor? Or did Yusuf saw his family members in the dream as well but God is giving metaphor im Quran for us to compare?

Thank you.

Faisal Haroon replied 1 year, 5 months ago 3 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • Quran 12:3-6 – Sun And Moon And Stars Prostrating

Faisal Haroon updated 1 year, 5 months ago 3 Members · 5 Replies
  • Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar November 23, 2022 at 10:34 pm

Things are symbolized in dreams. Yusuf’s words are clear that he saw the sun, moon, and stars. On the other hand, the king saw cows and stalks which indicate years of production and draught. The prisoners saw bread and grapes being squeezed. Symbols themselves may or may not have a connection with the thing or person symbolized. The way they are symbolized is important to create a connection between them. Anything can be adopted for another thing to become its symbol. However, something more has to be done to create the connection between the symbolized and the symbol.

• Taimur Mughal

Member November 23, 2022 at 10:57 pm

Thanks , but how do we imagine this? Like Sun & moon & stars prostrating. I can’t imagine how lets say Sun is prostrating. It become like with hands and feet somewhat like in a movie or something.

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator November 24, 2022 at 12:22 am

There is really no need for us to imagine how the dream was experienced by Prophet Yusuf SWS. Our focus should really be on the point that is being related instead. However, if one must insist on imagining it then they can imagine these celestial bodies as tilting forward.

• Taimur Mughal

Member November 24, 2022 at 6:22 am

Thanks for reply but question is & I do get it now that we should focus on the maintain theme of the surah.

But I cant help but think back in that time they had no instrument to see how the planets [stars] actually were. They could only see the sun and moon in the sky . So they probably did not know that these planets were like sphere shaped balls etc. When Prophet Yusuf tells this dream to his father he says he saw them prostrating [ planets etc..] , the reader cant help but imagine the scene. But how did for example a sahabi understand these verses?? Prostration like is that a metaphor for they were coming to his feet ? I’m just curious how would a person back then understand this through his mind!?

If you can clarify this I would be thankfull.

JazakAllah khair.

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator November 24, 2022 at 10:40 am

Instruments are not needed to see the celestial objects that are already visible to the naked eye. Instruments can only provide more details about such objects.

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register