Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Sources of Islam What Acts Fall Under Mazahir Of Ibadah And Hence Prohibited

Tagged: ,

• What Acts Fall Under Mazahir Of Ibadah And Hence Prohibited

Posted by Mohammad Ali Soomro on November 27, 2022 at 9:02 am

hello there,

i wanted to understand that what things fall into the category of ‘ibaadaat ke mazaahir’? what i understand from it is that something which is unique to Allah or a ritual of worship then they cannot be done for anyone else? like sajdah and ruku are rituals of worship. so what is the measure of how to know what comes under this category and thus cannot be done for someone else, according to my understanding, it is any thing that is normally related to worship, that whenever you do it in front of someone, it gives a message to others that you are worshipping or holding that thing worthy of worship or giving it a status like that etc? is it correct?

so can this be said that in english, people usually use capital g when writing god, they specially do that to emphasize that He is the God and He is alone, etc etc. so can we say that such capitalization cannot be done for any other thing, like we do for noun? as it is done by them to emphasize the status of God etc?

Umer replied 1 year, 4 months ago 3 Members · 13 Replies
  • 13 Replies
  • What Acts Fall Under Mazahir Of Ibadah And Hence Prohibited

Umer updated 1 year, 4 months ago 3 Members · 13 Replies
  • Mohammad Ali Soomro

Member November 28, 2022 at 1:51 am

Like even in our people sometimes we see that people use “ALLAH” with full capitalization even when using it in middle of sentence etc, i guess as a way to glorify His greatness and glorification. So in the same way if someone uses such captilization for someone else like this? As we see that Ruku and Sajdah are also done for Allah’s glorification, but we see that they are prohibited to do for others etc, so in the same manner would it be prohibited to write someone’s name in such capitalization to show them respect or sometimes to put emphasis on the word or name, so that the reader remembers it and understands like we sometimes adjectives with full capitalization, to emphasize on that word? So what is the injuction, by which a person can judge what to do and what not to do?

• Mohammad Ali Soomro

Member November 28, 2022 at 2:47 am
  • Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar November 28, 2022 at 3:02 am

The worship rituals and their gestures are appointed by God, while the styles in writing or any other gesture adopted by us to show our reverence for God are our human inventions. Both cannot have the same status of sacredness, so one cannot become an analogy for the other.

• Mohammad Ali Soomro

Member November 28, 2022 at 3:09 am

@irfan76 okay sir so it won’t be a problem, which i mentioned above as mazaahir, so now it only remains a matter of intention

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar November 28, 2022 at 3:13 am

For prescribed rituals, they cannot be performed for others even without intention of worship for others.

• Mohammad Ali Soomro

Member November 28, 2022 at 3:14 am

@irfan76 yess sir i understand, i meant those that sometimes people adopt on their own to revere Allah sometimes

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar November 28, 2022 at 3:15 am

yes

• Mohammad Ali Soomro

Member November 28, 2022 at 7:15 am

@Irfan76 sir there’s a thing that i want to ask that once, while explaining Mazaahir of Shirk, you told that not every picture is worshiped, so only those specific pictures that are worshipped. Praying in front of those would only be prohibited. Similarly praying in front of fire won’t be prohibited, just a special type of fire with special settings that is used by fire worshippers. Praying in front of that would be prohibited. So i wanted to ask what exactly is the principle which we can apply to determine what comes under such prohibition?

Is it that anything which is still being worshipped by people etc, that for example if a person prays Infront of it, the most obvious image that would go to others would be that this person is also worshipping it, so praying in front of that thing would be prohibited?

Or is it that ‘anything’ that is worshipped, before in history or right now, and even praying in front of them would not give an obvious image to others that someone is worshipping it, that would also be Haram? Like for example if we get to know that in history, there was a civilization who used to worship Neem Tree, but now no one would perceive that a person is worshipping it he prays Infront of it. Or in an other example if in any tribe in Africa right now worships an Oak tree. So if someone prays in a park Infront of Oak tree in Pakistan, it’s nearly impossible that anyone would even perceive that someone is worshipping Oak tree, but still it would become Haram?

So my question summarizes that is the principle attached to what is perceived by society and that falls in Mazaahir.

Or anyyyything that was worshipped, whether or not it’s perceived by others as being worshipped, it becomes Haram as being mazaahir

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar November 28, 2022 at 9:32 pm

Of course, it is related to what society perceives something an object of Shirk, will be prohibited to worship in front of. If an image or object is detached from its polytheistic ascription, it is no more a thing prohibited to worship in front of.

• Mohammad Ali Soomro

Member December 6, 2022 at 5:48 am

@irfan76 sir i wanted to ask that sometimes people often do Shirk when it comes to prophet, like invoking them or saying ya Muhammad or saying ya Ali madad. So i wanted to say that these personalities are also sometimes mentioned as far as Shirk sometimes. So if there’s a wall where the names of such personalities are written, hanged on walls up high, so praying in front of these frames would come under mazaahir or not?

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar December 7, 2022 at 12:53 am

No one worship them. So saying prayer in front of them is no problem. Shirk is done by invoking their names for help, only.

• Mohammad Ali Soomro

Member December 9, 2022 at 6:30 am

@irfan76 sir i wanted to ask that there used to be a time that people before used to be sun worshippers and we see in Islam that we are prohibited from performing prayer at the times of Zenith and sunset and sunrise. So would it be allowed in today’s time to pray at these times if no one would perceive that they are being worshipped etc

• Umer

Moderator December 9, 2022 at 5:08 pm

Only two times in which Salah and Prostration is forbidden are Sunset and Sunrise. There is no basis for such prohibition at zenith. Matters of Ibadah which are transmitted through ijma and tawatur as an initiated Sunnah of Prophet Muhammad (sws) cannot be subjected to ijtihad and be left based on absence of any underlying ‘illat’ (conditions) which led to such directives.

https://youtu.be/ef7dPwS0tnc

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register