Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Islam and Family Requirement Of Mehr And Validity Of Marriage

Tagged: 

• Requirement Of Mehr And Validity Of Marriage

Posted by Qurat Siddiq on December 8, 2022 at 11:33 pm

Is Mehr a necessary condition of nikah? In my marriage contract which was administered by a government officer, we did not decide on a Haq Mehr. However, our condition of offer and acceptance in front of two male Muslim witnesses was fulfilled. Is my marriage valid?

Qurat Siddiq replied 1 year, 4 months ago 2 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • Requirement Of Mehr And Validity Of Marriage

Qurat Siddiq updated 1 year, 4 months ago 2 Members · 6 Replies
  • Faisal Haroon

Moderator December 9, 2022 at 12:38 am

Mehr is an essential pre-requisite of nikah. If this requirement was not met due to ignorance then the error should be corrected at once and sincere forgiveness should be sought with God.

Discussion 29887

• Qurat Siddiq

Member December 9, 2022 at 12:46 am

So is my marriage not valid?

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator December 9, 2022 at 1:00 am

I am sorry I cannot tell you that as it is for God to decide. I can only share with you the requirements as ordained by Him.

Please also know that God is necessarily forgiving to those who fix their errors upon realizing and make sincere repentance at once.

• Qurat Siddiq

Member December 9, 2022 at 1:02 am

Can you advise on how we can fix this mistake as marriage contract is already signed. What should be the process.

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator December 9, 2022 at 1:16 am

As explained in the link I shared above, the husband should offer you a dower which is in accordance with the social status of the bride and financial status of the groom. You can mutually decide the amount according to the norms of the society.

If the husband gives you the decided amount right away, which is very much preferable, then there is nothing further that needs to be done. However, if that is not possible then either the nikah contract can be legally amended or a separate legal contract can be drawn for the financial obligation of the husband towards you.

• Qurat Siddiq

Member December 9, 2022 at 2:46 am

Many thanks brother

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register