Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Islamic Sharia Is This Story And Hadith Authentic?

• Is This Story And Hadith Authentic?

Posted by Mohammad Ali Soomro on December 15, 2022 at 9:12 pm

Hello there,

There’s a story along with Ahadith, and this has been mentioned in a lot of shia websites

and also a sunni website told that this hadith was used in tafseer by Ath-Thalabi (that website said that about this book of tafsir Ibn taymiyah said that this author, ath thalabi mixes authentic and unauthentic hadith) and also found in book of as-samarqandi (which again was said by that website that some scholar said that this book has a lot of fabricated Ahadiths).

Nevertheless the hadith that is mentioned in the shia websites is this.

https://www.imamreza.net/old/eng/imamreza.php?id=12599

So is this hadith authentic? Because in this story the man repented very very much for 40 days, his eyelashes fell because of constant crying and he became black in sun. Beasts surrounding him because they felt distressed because of his distress. And the words of Prophet about how prophet said to him that be away from me, lest i may get burned with your fire. And also in the end the words of prophet that this is how a repentance should be,

so is such harsh or strict repentance is needed for sins to be forgiven? Is this hadith authentic?

Because i have heard that even the biggest sins like Shirk can be forgiven by sincere repentance, and as i have heard there is only 3 condition for sincere repentance. That is regret, seeking forgiveness and turning to Allah, and resolving never to go back. And a 4th one if someone’s right is involved. But this hadith gives a concept that such harsh repentance should be done because of words of Prophet before his repentance and after such harsh repentance of 40 days then Prophet saying that this is how a repentance should be. Etc

Dr. Irfan Shahzad replied 1 year, 5 months ago 2 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • Is This Story And Hadith Authentic?

Dr. Irfan Shahzad updated 1 year, 5 months ago 2 Members · 5 Replies
  • Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar December 15, 2022 at 9:36 pm

It seems a conceived story with elements of the supernatural. The prophet is not supposed to behave the way, this story tells.

You are advised to read Quran first to comprehend the Deen, and how it functions, then you can proceed to see things in the light of the Quran.

• Mohammad Ali Soomro

Member December 16, 2022 at 1:48 am

@Irfan76 sir also i guess there are a few things in this Hadith which make such a thing unreliable.

– coming of voice to the man as if the woman was speaking

– gathering of beasts and birds around

(These supernatural phenomenon happening, Prophet did not tell these phenomenon but it was that person in the former and other people in the latter phenomenon)

– the words of that are said to be of Prophet like ” o dissolute….”

– then such harsh and tough repentance that was never heard before in Islamic perspective

– then later when the verse of Quran 3-135 is mentioned then i guess in an explanatory way, these words are written ;

it means adultery (or do injustice to their souls) by committing a sin greater than adultery like digging the graves and extorting the shrouds of the dead “remember Allah and ask forgiveness for their faults” fear Allah and hasten to repent “and who forgives the faults but Allah,” Allah says, “O Muhammad, my slave has come to you repenting but you rejected him. Where and to whom does he go? Whom does he ask to forgive his sins except Me?” Then Allah said, “and (who) do not knowingly persist in what they have done” do not keep on committing adultery, digging the graves and taking the shrouds of the buried dead:

Here if you see the explanatory words that Allah says “O Muhammad, my slave has come to you repenting but….” . I mean where did these words come from and these words also a type of telling prophet that prophet shouldn’t have rejected him etc.

– and saying that ayat was revealed after that man cried in mountains in repentance for 40 days. It gives a sort of idea that his sincerity and regret that first brought him to Prophet while crying, that sincerity was not enough and it become enough after 40 days of crying and begging for forgiveness.

So these were some points which make it feel like maybe this report is fabricated.

In the sunni website it also said that some scholars that talked about this hadith mentioned in tafsir of Ath-Thalabi, this hadith has discontinuity between Az-Zuhri and Umar.

But I’m not sure if it’s the same hadith of same chain of narration that is said to be mentioned in Book of As-samarqandi. (As i mentioned that they found it in 2 sources : tafsir of Ath-Thalabi and book of as-samarqandi). And what if the hadith in book of as-samarqandi is of another chain of narration?

Also sir, is there any concept in Islam that such harsh and tight repentance is needed for it to be sincere? (Like going into mountains for 40 days, and crying the lashes out)

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar December 16, 2022 at 3:20 am

Repentance is a feeling. It might be very intense, but the one who believes in God, gets never disappointed in His mercy:

قُلْ يَا عِبَادِيَ الَّذِينَ أَسْرَفُوا عَلَىٰ أَنفُسِهِمْ لَا تَقْنَطُوا مِن رَّحْمَةِ اللَّهِ ۚ إِنَّ اللَّهَ يَغْفِرُ الذُّنُوبَ جَمِيعًا ۚ إِنَّهُ هُوَ الْغَفُورُ الرَّحِيمُ

• Mohammad Ali Soomro

Member December 16, 2022 at 4:39 am

@Irfan76 okay sir, so what constitutes repentance a true repentance. What makes a repentance true and also is there any level of feeling of intensity of repentance necessary for it to be acceptable? Or if it is true then a level of intensity is not a condition for repentance to be accepted? And what makes a repentance a true repentance

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar December 16, 2022 at 4:42 am

This is subjective and its truth and authenticity are felt by the person himself.

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register