Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Sources of Islam Hadith About Drum And Lute

Tagged: ,

• Hadith About Drum And Lute

Posted by Muhammad Sami ud-Din on December 18, 2022 at 6:49 am

There is a hadith which bans two musical instruments, (the Drum and the lute) and these musical instruments are also highly discouraged in many Muslim societies.

It is reported that Allah’s Messenger (sav) said: “Verily, Allah has prohibited for my ummah; wine, gambling, a drink distilled from corn, the drum and the lute (qineen) while he supplemented me with another prayer Witr.” (Al-Musnad by Imam Ahmed; authenticated by Al-Albani in Sahih Al-Jami’ as-Sagheer, Vol. 1-2, p. 106, Hadith No. 1744).

Is this hadith authentic? please clarify.

Faisal Haroon replied 1 year, 4 months ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Hadith About Drum And Lute

Faisal Haroon updated 1 year, 4 months ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar December 19, 2022 at 2:22 am

Watch this series to find the position of music and related Ahadith

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKbgZ8Fv3Do

• Muhammad Sami ud-Din

Member December 19, 2022 at 8:48 am

@Irfan76 (Irfan Sahib), It would be difficult for me, to watch all parts of Response to 23 Questions on this topic. Can you tell me that is this hadith which is abruptly prohibiting the Drum and the Lute authentic? Ibn Hazm (ra) stated that “All hadiths prohibiting Music are baseless.”

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator December 19, 2022 at 12:39 pm

Hadith narrations are not judged only by authenticity, but also by the content and how it relates to any injunctions in the Quran. It is incorrect to assume any position on the basis of a single narration because generally the context is not present in such narrations. With that, please understand that there is no absolute prohibition of music in Islam. If you want to learn the details about the issue please watch the videos shared with you above by Irfan sahab.

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register