A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Sources of Islam Quran 4:97 – Living In A Non-muslim Country

Tagged: 

• Quran 4:97 – Living In A Non-muslim Country

Posted by Waqas Iqbal on December 26, 2022 at 3:51 am

Asalaamo Alaikum,

Hope all is well, Ghamidi Sahab!

My question is related to living abroad in a non-muslim country. Is it permitted according to Quran/Hadith? I was listening to a renowned indian scholar refering to Quran 4:97 that it is not permitted to living in a non-muslim country where you can’t practice your religion and he said the religion is not just to pray, fast etc. Practising is basically dawah which should be done by a muslim.

I am living in Ireland and I do not find any difficulty in practising the basic deen i.e. pray, fast etc. So shall the above verse applicable on us as well? I moved to Ireland for a better life, education and other facilities for my children which they won’t be able to get in our muslim majoirty country. We will try our best to make our children close to deen as much as possible.

If that verse was related to the people of that time only then how shall we differentiate that any verse is applicable on everyone or just on the people of that time.

JazakAllah Khair

Waqas

Faisal Haroon replied 1 year, 4 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • Quran 4:97 – Living In A Non-muslim Country

Faisal Haroon updated 1 year, 4 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • Faisal Haroon

Moderator December 26, 2022 at 2:19 pm

The referenced verse of the Quran is general and for all times and all Muslims. However, the context of the verse makes it very clear that it has to do with situations where Muslim are being persecuted. Please see the following note of Ghamidi sahab in his exegesis Al-Bayan:

169 It is evident from these verses that if it becomes difficult for a believer to worship the Almighty, he is persecuted for his religious beliefs and a stage comes when it becomes impossible for him to live as a declared Muslim, then his faith requires him to shift to another place where he can openly practice his faith.

Preaching (dawah) is certainly a religious obligation, however, it is according to a person’s status and capacity. For detailed explanation of Ghamidi sahab in this regard in the light of the Quran and the Sunnah please see:

Discussion 27858

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register