Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Epistemology and Philosophy Complexity Argument Against God

Tagged: ,

• Complexity Argument Against God

Posted by Sameer Namole on January 15, 2023 at 7:50 am

I’m asked this question by an Atheist.

” Any god – theist or deist, is by definition, an intelligent being / entity. And intelligence by definition is complex. It’s not simple. So the universe would definitely not start with something that’s complex. It HAS to start with something that’s simple. Because complex things demand their own explanation. We know for sure that Big Bang happened and what happened at the 10 power -37th second of the Big Bang.

And for Big Bang to start, only two things are required Unlimited density in infinitesimally small space AKA – The Singularity. Because I believe the standard definition of God is someone or some “thing” that created the universe. The uncreated creator. Nothing existed BEFORE him. If something existed before him (pardon me for calling God ‘him’), the he’s not God in the first place. It’s self-contradictory. That’s why I don’t think god creating the universe is a strong argument. Definitely not a rational one if you ask me. Whatever the entity is, it did not have a mind, ergo, we can’t call it God. Let’s say, hypothetically, we life in a simulated universe. Let’s say some intelligent life form (much more intelligent than us) has created us. But I would NOT call it God unless it is the very first thing that existed ever since the beginning of time. “

What is or can be our response …

Faisal Haroon replied 1 year, 3 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • Complexity Argument Against God

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator January 15, 2023 at 11:05 am

Theists never claim that God is a simple entity. Instead we recognize that we cannot comprehend the nature of God. Given our knowledge of the limited number of neurons in our brains, the idea that we should be able to understand an infinite God is an irrational idea within itself that contradicts observation.

Also the assertion that God has to be simple comes from the philosophical idea of reductionism. It assumes that every complex system can be explained in simpler terms. While this is a useful idea in many instances, it has no scientific basis whatsoever. In fact even in science, it is argued that many phenomena such as morphogenesis, autopoiesis, and metabolism are emergent and cannot be explained through reduction.

It must also be noted that it is ignorant to claim with certitude that the Big Bang did in fact occur. The Big Bang model is our current best model of the universe. While there is evidence for it, there are also a number of observations made by the scientists that go against this model as well as the fundamental framework that it is based upon. As everything else in science, the Big Bang theory is a working model that is almost guaranteed to change in the future as we make new discoveries.

Finally, another thing to note is that the Big Bang model requires us to assume a singularity of infinite density. The idea of infinity is an abstract concept which has no physical existence. We also know that infinities are complex, so the idea that the universe would have started by something simple like a singularity is a self contradictory idea.

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register