Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Sources of Islam Hadith: The Child Is For The Owner Of The Bed

• Hadith: The Child Is For The Owner Of The Bed

Posted by Muhammad Sami ud-Din on January 18, 2023 at 6:58 pm

‘Ā’ishah (may Allah be pleased with her) reported: Sa‘d ibn Abi Waqqās and ‘Abd ibn Zam‘ah disputed over (the lineage of) a boy. Sa‘d said: “O Messenger of Allah, this is the son of my brother ‘Utbah ibn Abi Waqqās. He entrusted him to me saying that he was his own son. Just look at him and see how he resembles him.” ‘Abd ibn Zam‘ah said: “O Messenger of Allah, he is my brother, as he was born on the bed of my father from his slave girl.” The Messenger of Allah (may Allah’s peace and blessings be upon him) looked at the boy and saw that he clearly resembled ‘Utbah. Thereupon, he said: “He is yours, O ‘Abd ibn Zam‘ah. The child belongs to the owner of the bed, and the stone is for the one who commits illegal sexual intercourse. O Sawdah, cover yourself from him.” So, that boy never saw Sawdah uncovered.

https://hadeethenc.com/en/browse/hadith/6160

This Hadith is a bit confusing to me as I never saw any ruling like this that “The child belongs to the owner of the bed, where he/she was born” before, Is this Hadith authentic?

Dr. Irfan Shahzad replied 1 year, 3 months ago 2 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Hadith: The Child Is For The Owner Of The Bed

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar January 19, 2023 at 1:54 am

This is the way to solve a dispute. Physical resembalance provided no legal grounds, whereas the birth of the child of someone’s bed is factual. The law follows the facts.

Keep it in mind, that in pre Islamic era, during the time of Jahilyya, there were many practices which were forbidden by Islam. One of them was to have sexaul relation with someone’s slave girl. The prophet gave his verdict that the lineage of a child has to be determined with the fact that the child was born on the bed of tha man. To claim the lineage of a child for someone else is in fact, admittance of adultary and for adultary the law is to punish the culprit.

• Muhammad Sami ud-Din

Member January 19, 2023 at 2:24 pm

@Irfan76 JazakAllah, but one more question about that Hadith, Is Prophet (sav)’s advice to Hz. Sawdah (ra) to cover herself from that child, implicate Hijab or Pardah?

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar January 19, 2023 at 10:34 pm

It is the Hijab, the special and exclusive protocol prescribed for the wives of the prophet.

The discussion "Hadith: The Child Is For The Owner Of The Bed" is closed to new replies.

Start of Discussion
0 of 0 replies June 2018
Now