A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Islamic Sharia Morality Of Suicide

Tagged: , ,

• Morality Of Suicide

Faisal Mahesar updated 1 year, 1 month ago 3 Members · 8 Replies
  • Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar January 30, 2023 at 4:33 am

To be legal does not mean, it is ethical too. No one forces anyone to commit suicide. If you can convince someone not to commit suicide, it is appreciated even in the country where it is allowed. It is an ethical responsibility to save a life. So one should try to save it.

• Faisal Mahesar

Member January 30, 2023 at 4:56 am

Sir if the person who wants to commit suicide argues that he is an atheist and states that according to him suicide is not unethical, then should I stop him just because I believe it is unethical?

The question is: either my opinion matters or his right over his body (he believes his body is his and not God’s).

If I need to stop him then should I do it with force or just try to convince verbally?

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator January 30, 2023 at 8:22 am

There is no country or region in the world where suicide is considered ethical so your assumption does not reflect the reality.

• Faisal Mahesar

Member January 30, 2023 at 8:33 am

Ok Sir. I am not satisfied.

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator January 30, 2023 at 8:44 am

That is perfectly fine. Unless you can properly articulate the reason for your dissatisfaction, I am afraid that no one can help you with it.

• Faisal Mahesar

Member January 30, 2023 at 9:33 am

Absolutely true Sir. I am glad that you are available to help.

Sir, there are more than 7 bn people living on planet earth. I have come across people in my life who think that suicide is a personal choice and one has the right to kill him or herself. There can be many reasons for such thinking. One of the reasons I found in an article was the thinking that life is not worth living. Similarly there are many other reasons.

So my questions: if we across a person who wants to commit suicide and cites such reasons for doing it, what should be my response. Should I use force to stop him or her, or just try to convince verbally?

(Please do not consider my assumption’s compatibility with reality since I regard this assumption so real that I have been thinking and discussing about it for some time).

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator January 30, 2023 at 10:24 am

Reasoning of an individual or a few people does not matter. Ethics are societal norms that are derived from fundamental morality which is universal. Suicide is considered unethical everywhere in the world and has always been.

If you come across an individual who is trying to commit suicide, it is your moral obligation to try to stop them. How that is achieved is dependent upon the situation, your relationship with the individual, and a whole lot of other parameters. Perhaps the least one can do is to is to notify the authorities.

• Faisal Mahesar

Member January 30, 2023 at 10:42 am

Thank you Sir

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register