Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Islamic Sharia Quran 24:31 – Hadith Regarding Parda / Hijab

Tagged: , , ,

• Quran 24:31 – Hadith Regarding Parda / Hijab

Posted by Munim Haider on February 3, 2023 at 5:32 am

There is a narration that can be found in Ibn Kathir’s writing, as well as in Ibn Hajar’s writing which says after the revelation of verse 31 of surah An Nur, women wore headscarves and they looked like there were crows sitting on their heads.

A’ishah says, ‘By God! I have never found anybody better than the women of the Ansar when it comes to honouring the Book of God and having faith in its instructions.’ When the following verse of the chapter entitled al-Nur, ‘They should put shawls over their bosoms’, was revealed, the Ansar men returned to their houses and conveyed to their wives, daughters and sisters the instructions revealed for them by God. Some untied their waist-belts while others used their covering sheets and made shawls out of them. The next morning when they offered prayers (salat) led by the Prophet Muhammad, it seemed as if crows sat on their heads (because of the scarves they wore). (Tafsir ibn Kathir, vol. III, p. 284 ).

Source: https://quran.com/en/24:31/tafsirs/tazkirul-quran-en

Ibn Hajar said in Fath al-Bari: There is a report of Ibn Abi Hatim via ‘Abd-Allah ibn ‘Uthman ibn Khaytham from Safiyyah that explains that. This report says: We mentioned the women of Quraysh and their virtues in the presence of ‘Aishah and she said: “The women of Quraysh are good, but by Allah I have never seen any better than the women of the Ansar, or any who believed the Book of Allah more strongly or had more faith in the Revelation. When Surat al-Nur was revealed – “and to draw their veils all over Juyubihinna” – their menfolk came to them and recited to them what had been revealed, and there was not one woman among them who did not go to her apron, and the following morning they prayed wrapped up as if there were crows on their heads.

Source: https://islamqa.info/en/answers/13998/verses-and-ahadith-about-hijab-in-islam#hadiths-about-hijab

Does this narration mean that covering the head with black scarf or black burqa is mandatory for women under all circumstances, hence crows? Or does it only talk about prayer? And also as far as I know, Javed Ahmad Ghamidi sahab does not believe head covering to be mandatory for women in front of non mahrams, but doesn’t this narration contradict his statement as it says presumably means that the women of that time covered their heads with black clothes?

Umer replied 1 year, 2 months ago 4 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • Quran 24:31 – Hadith Regarding Parda / Hijab

Umer updated 1 year, 2 months ago 4 Members · 6 Replies
  • Ahsan

Moderator February 3, 2023 at 6:09 am

If it was mandatory why qureshi women didn’t do it? Form islamic point of view it is not necessary but if someone want to do then they can.
    I think u didnt understand Ghamidi sb stance on this issue properly. refer to Discussion 47826

• Munim Haider

Member February 3, 2023 at 9:31 am

Were the Qureshi women there at the time of the revelation of this verse? Because Quraysh was a Meccan clan, whereas this verse came down when the Prophet was in Medina, when they were with the Ansar.

And if it wasn’t necessary then why did all of them dress like that way?

I’ve watched all videos of the 23 questions series on hijab, Ghamidi sahb did not talk about this narration there

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator February 3, 2023 at 11:07 am

If you have watched the videos shared by Ahsan sahab above, I am sure that you know that Ghamidi sahab has explained Quran verse 33:59. The context of this verse is a dire situation when temporary measures were taken. The narration that you shared should be understood in that context.

The Sharia for general situations in regards to gender interaction is given in Quran verses 24:27-31. For details please see:

Discussion 30301

For a concise explanation of general Sharia please watch:

https://youtu.be/ygzthENELLQ

• Munim Haider

Member February 3, 2023 at 1:05 pm

The Narration I shared talks about what happened after verse 31 of Surah An Nur came down (24:31), not Surah Ahzab (33:59). So the context of Surah Al Azhab has nothing to do here

• Umer

Moderator February 3, 2023 at 9:34 pm

This narration and the underlying point has been discussed in the Respone Series:

Please refer to the video below from 1:44 to 11:42

• Umer

Moderator February 3, 2023 at 9:34 pm

Please also refer to the video below from 44:33 to 49:18

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register