Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Islamic Sharia Is Being Fat Disliked In Islam?

Tagged: 

• Is Being Fat Disliked In Islam?

Umer updated 1 year, 2 months ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • Yusuf

Member February 21, 2023 at 8:15 am

?

• Muhammad Sami ud-Din

Member February 21, 2023 at 9:54 am

Asselamu aleyküm,

I did not Ghamidi Sb.’s (ha) opinion on this matter.

However, yes it’s disliked in Islam, if one is obsessed overweight, Because, it’s not good for Health. Islam requires one to be fit and healthy.

The Prophet [sav] said: “A human being has not filled any vessel which is worse than a belly. Enough for the son of Adam are some mouthfuls which can keep his back straight: but if there is no escape he should fill it a third with food, a third with drink, and leave a third empty.” [Tirmidhi and Ibn Majah transmitted it.]

There are many ahadiths highly discouraging both over-eating and being fat, the Prophet [sav] have never indulged in over-eating.

And Allah knows best. 💖

PS:- I’m also a Member, like you. And I’ve shared my analysis.

• Yusuf

Member February 22, 2023 at 8:02 am
  • Umer

Moderator February 25, 2023 at 1:10 am

Being fat or being smart is not a religious matter. A human being is given enough intellect to stay healthy. Religion does not touch these matters unless there is an ethical issue involved which affects Tazkiya of a person. Religion only deals with matters of Tazkiya including Tazkiya of body, food and ethics.

Ghamidi Sahab is of view (and so are some other scholars and researchers like ibn-e-khuldun and Shah wali-ullah Muhadis Dehelvi) that in addition to being a Prophet, our Prophet had other roles in the society i.e. being an elder of the society who gets influenced by the medicine and culture of his time and gives advice to others in his capacity as an elder and not in his capacity as a Prophet. Therefore, Prophet’s role in religious capacity and his role as an elder of the society always need to be separated while studying Hadith Corpus. Therefore, all the ahadith need to be studied separately whether they are said by the Prophet (SWS) in His capacity as Prophet or in his capacity as an elder of the society, with advices ranging from medicinal to cultural domains of His time. Therefore, any such hadith which is teaching Dietary Etiquettes is not a religious injunction but a way of teaching general etiquettes.

Same predicament happens when people misconstrue certain medicinal benefits (or e.g. hadith forbidding certain sleep postures) mentioned in Hadith Corpus as religious injunctions (Tibb-e-Nabwi etc.).

Following thread can also be referred to for additional details on this topic in general:

Discussion 59119

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register