Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Islam and State Can The Interpretation Of 4 Khalifa’s Be Challenged?

Tagged: ,

• Can The Interpretation Of 4 Khalifa’s Be Challenged?

Posted by Muhammad Talha on February 25, 2023 at 7:30 am

As we know that they were humans too and not Prophet’s so can their interpretation be challenged? Do we have such an example in history where their interpretation isn’t according to Quran?

If yes, then how can their actions or doings become an exemplary model for the rest?

Dr. Irfan Shahzad replied 1 year, 1 month ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • Can The Interpretation Of 4 Khalifa’s Be Challenged?

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar February 26, 2023 at 9:54 pm

It is only the prerogative of Rasool that his ruling cannot be challenged. The caliphs’ opinions had been challenged by their own contemporaries. They had to convince others with arguments to create a consensus. Even after the consensus, there is the possibility of an error of judgment. The examples are numerous. In their first sermon, Hazrat Abu Bakr said you have to obey me if I take you according to the Quran and Sunnah, if deviate, you are not bound to obey me. There was a difference of opinions in sending the army under the leadership of Usama bin Zaid to fight the Romans and in fighting the deniers of Zakat. Hazrat Umar had to convince the companions after a long debate that the lands of Iraq should not be distributed to the warriors as their share in the spoils of war.

Abdullah bin Abbas did not accept the consensus of the companions on the understanding of the law of inheritance. These are a few examples.

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register