Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Islamic Sharia Is Liver Halal?

Tagged: , ,

• Is Liver Halal?

Nadeem Minhas updated 1 year, 1 month ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • Afia Khan

Member March 11, 2023 at 5:09 pm

Blood which is liquid and flows is haram.

• Nadeem Minhas

Member March 12, 2023 at 8:26 am

Thanks for your reply. If I wash liver or press hard, it gives off liquid flowing blood. Having blood trapped inside a sponge doesn’t seem to change the fact that it is blood. Reference to a Hadith gives me a little confidence but I normally follow Quran and Sunnah. I do not find any answer there. To be cautious, I rather not eat liver but I can’t tell my children or others if it is Halal or haram. They need to judge themselves.

• Nadeem Minhas

Member March 12, 2023 at 11:57 am

Gave it a good thought. I think the only blood that is Haram is not the flowing blood, as blood coagulation soon after exposing to air, but the blood that flows out of animal. Rest is halal as there is always some remaining blood in the organs and meat.

• Ahsan

Moderator March 12, 2023 at 7:46 am

Any piece cut from a living animal is maytah. (Abū Dā’ūd: No. 2858)

It needs to be kept in mind that like other words, the word ‘ميته’ (maytah) is used in the above mentioned directives according to its usage in the Arabic language. No doubt, it has a literal meaning; however, its usage in the Arabic language does not include all the dead, as is the case with its Urdu usage. In such a case, it becomes confined to a certain specific meaning, and anyone who is aware of this intricacy, for example, will never include dead fish or dead locust in its connotation:

Imam Zamakhsharī writes:

قصد ما يتفاهمه الناس و يتعارفونه في العادة ’ ألا تري أن القائل إذا قال : أكل فلان ميتة ’ لم يسبق الوهم إلى السمك والجراد كما لو قال : أكل دماً’ لم يسبق إلى الكبد والطحال ’ ولاعتبار العادة والتعارف قالوا : من حلف لا يأكل لحماً فأكل سمكا لم يحنث وان أكل لحماً في الحقيقة

The word ‘ميته’ (maytah) mentioned in the Qur’ān must be understood according to its linguistic usage. Is not the case that when someone says that he has eaten maytah, we never include a fish or a locust in its connotation. This is similar to the fact that if a person says that he has drunk blood we never include liver or spleen in its connotation. Precisely because of such usage, jurists say that if a person swears that he will never eat meat and then he consumes fish, this will not break his oath although in reality he has eaten meat.[5]

The Prophet (sws), on these very grounds, is reported to have said:

أُحِلَّتْ لَكُمْ مَيْتَتَانِ وَدَمَانِ فَأَمَّا الْمَيْتَتَانِ فَالْحُوتُ وَالْجَرَادُ وَأَمَّا الدَّمَانِ فَالْكَبِدُ وَالطِّحَالُ.(ابنِ ماجه: رقم ٣٣١٤)

Two [type of] dead and two [forms of] blood are not forbidden for you: The former being fish and locust and the latter being liver and spleen. (Ibn Mājah: No. 2314)

Taken from Discussion 1641

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register