Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Youth and Islam Ruling On Following Opinions Of Shia Scholars

Tagged: ,

• Ruling On Following Opinions Of Shia Scholars

Posted by Deleted User 1209 on March 12, 2023 at 11:34 am

I am a Sunni and follow mostly Sunni beliefs but in some aspects of religion I find some Shia scholars give better explanations of quranic verses or explanations of some Hadith that makes more sense to me. So wanted to ask if it is okay to follow opinions of some Shia scholars in regards to this ?

Thanks

Faisal Haroon replied 1 year, 1 month ago 2 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • Ruling On Following Opinions Of Shia Scholars

Faisal Haroon updated 1 year, 1 month ago 2 Members · 6 Replies
  • Faisal Haroon

Moderator March 12, 2023 at 11:47 am

In principle, one should follow an opinion that has the strongest argument based in evidence. However, a general ruling cannot be provided in this matter. Each opinion must be considered on a case by case basis by a scholarly person who can critically analyze such an opinion.

• Deleted User 1209

Member March 12, 2023 at 11:50 am

Yes of course I mean if a qualified Shia scholar says has that opinion and you agree with it is it okay to follow ?

• Deleted User 1209

Member March 12, 2023 at 11:57 am

It’s just that I remember Ghamidi sir said that you can pick and choose opinions from different scholars ? I was just wondering if that extended to some Shia scholars also that had based their argument on good evidence and as long as it doesn’t go against key Islamic principles ? And you felt that you agreed with it ?

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator March 12, 2023 at 1:38 pm

Again, one should follow an opinion that has the strongest argument based in evidence. In principle, there is no distinction between Shia, Sunni, or any other faction in this matter. However, one must understand the basis of such an opinion, which is not always possible for a common person. This is why before accepting an opposing viewpoint, one should discuss it with the scholarship that they trust.

For a related comment by Ghamidi sahab, please refer to the video below from 41:47 to 44:21:

• Deleted User 1209

Member March 12, 2023 at 2:04 pm

I think you are misunderstand my question. I am saying that the person is a scholar meaning that the person is a knowledgable person and posts quite on Al-islam.org just they are shia i think. But there point of view on something makes sense to me and ease for me. The video you sent shows ghamidi sir saying to accept if it is from a scholar and it creates ease.

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator March 12, 2023 at 2:49 pm

I do understand your question, and I think that I have tried to respond to it above. Unless you are a scholar who understands the Shia scholarship, the basis of their arguments, and the context in which they interpret things, I can only advise you that before accepting a position from them that you find attractive, that you should discuss it with another Sunni scholar that you trust.

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register