Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Epistemology and Philosophy Why Did Allah Create People Who Would Go To Hell?

• Why Did Allah Create People Who Would Go To Hell?

Posted by Awais Khan on March 14, 2023 at 5:43 am

Allah has ultimate knowledge of the past and future. This means that when he was creating some people he knew they would end up in Hell, but he still created them. Isn’t this against Allah’s attributes of Merciful and Benevolent.

I understand that the person has free will and he makes his own decisions and actions, but still Allah knows he would go to Hell. Allah could have prevented this. Please elaborate on this.

Saad Aamir replied 7 months ago 3 Members · 26 Replies
  • 26 Replies
  • Why Did Allah Create People Who Would Go To Hell?

Saad Aamir updated 7 months ago 3 Members · 26 Replies
  • Saad Aamir

Member March 14, 2023 at 8:09 am

The underling issue in your question is a misconception of Allah’s character. He is Merciful and Benevolent, but He is not only just Merciful and Benevolent. He is also Just (16:90), He is Vengeful (3:4) and He is a Giver of stern punishment (85:12).

The truth is, Allah’s is overflowing with love, forgiveness and mercy for those who submit to Him or are in some error and He hopes that they will in time come to Him. He, however, has no soft spot for His enemies i.e anyone who openly rebels against Him and continue to rebel against Him until they die. Such people will be called to a harsh account by Him and that is the thing, you ask why Allah didn’t prevent this, the truth is, because Allah does want to seize the Rebellious, He values justice more than any of us. He’s the King of Kings, no rebel can offend His majesty and then can happily walk away freely, He will indeed, at least make them stand for Judgment even if He does ultimately choose to withdraw His warning of eternal Hell.

As for those who do submit to Him and sin or make error time to time but ultimately seek His forgiveness, He is Merciful and Benevolent to them. As for the one who is His enemy, He created them, they choose their path of rebellious out of their free will and now He’s going to punish them because their life has served as evidence against them. This differentiation between the Obedient and the Rebellious is the major part of His Justice. If He lets go the rebellious (by not creating them) just like He lets go the obedient, then Justice suffers.

• Awais Khan

Member July 30, 2023 at 1:40 pm

Thank you for your response. I am still confused as to how Allah can be called just. He created the rebellious knowing they will rebel out of their own free will, which Allah did know beforehand. It seems like Allah created the rebellious only to punish them. Nauzubillah, this sounds more sadistic than Justice.

• Saad Aamir

Member July 30, 2023 at 2:47 pm

What it sounds like isn’t important. What is important is that Allah is Just in His terms, the terms He has informed us in His revelations, these terms are not based on one’s personal wishes (68:35-40), the terms that He is merciful to the obedient and He is not merciful to the rebellious (32:18). This differentiation between obedient and rebellious is what makes Him Just, that good will receive good (55:60) and evil will receive evil (6:160), it does not make Him All-Loving though which is an misconception, that He will love even those that rebel against Him(25:37), no, that is not the case according to Qur’an. The one who does not murder and one who does murder are not the same (40:58). Justice demands that the Judge will treat one differently from the other.

The point that I am made is that you cannot expect Allah to be merciful to rebellious. He has made it painfully clear that He does not love His enemies (3:32). He created mankind solely for them to succeed and enter His Jannah out of free will. Everyone was given the choice to enter this test (33:72) and get this chance, those who do good out of free will, will be rewarded, those who do evil out of free will, must be punished, for going against Ahd-e-Alast (7:172). Again, this differentiation, this different attitude of God towards the two category is what makes Him Just(59:20). He will reward those who were loyal to Him and He will question those who betrayed Him (33:7-8).

Can it be said that Allah is cold-hearted towards the criminals in the Afterlife (63:6, 7:50, 9:80, 44:25-29), yes, that is the weight of His warning (38:85, 11:119). A group of people will keep His Love and a group of people will potentially lose it (75:22-25). Whether Allah does fulfill this warning of eternal Hell for rebellious in the end remains to be seen (48:14, 11:106-107), He could let them go but not without some questioning, not at the cost of injustice but ultimately it is a serious concern that weighs on every God-fearing person’s mind (65:10), the potential of losing the favor of God because there is a type of person He does not show mercy to, a person who chooses to die rebellious (9:84). So we try to die in a state of obedience, not rebelliousness (3:102). This is how Allah will judge and one should prepare for it because clearly He is prepared to question the rebellious, that is His final decision (21:23, 91:14-15, 42:7, 15:92, 29:4, 10:53, 6:134).

• Awais Khan

Member July 30, 2023 at 3:02 pm

Thank you for your swift response. I am trying to convey the point that did Allah only create the rebellious so that he could punish them? He knew beforehand they would reject guidance.

• Saad Aamir

Member July 30, 2023 at 3:07 pm

And I am saying that He wants to punish evil.

It would go against His justice if He said something like “I will be merciful to everyone, including the criminals” in which case, it makes sense that He would choose not to create the rebellious, knowing they would reject guidance, saving them from punishment.

But turns out, Allah has informed us, that He is not all-loving. He is above all, Just. He sees good and He rewards it. He sees evil and He warns it, sets it up for questioning and may choose to punish it.

This is His decision, this is what He has ultimately chosen, and then informed us, to warn us, that “do not be among the rebellious” because these are the people that may lose His mercy i.e these are the people He will not give any leniency including “choosing not to create so they can avoid punishment.” This is the position we are in. So we have to accept this.

• Awais Khan

Member July 30, 2023 at 3:17 pm

Please correct me if I am wrong. You do agree that He only created the rebellious so he could punish them. This is to show his Justice.

• Saad Aamir

Member July 30, 2023 at 3:21 pm

It is not to show anything.

The point that you are not understanding is that. Allah shows Mercy to the obedient, not the rebellious.

Choosing not to create rebellious so they can avoid punishment is an act of mercy.

Allah does not allow act of mercy for the rebellious.
      Acts of mercy are only reserved for the obedient in the afterlife.

This different behavior towards the two groups is part of His justice. He will not go against this, because He told us so. This news has thus consequences where prophets would come and warn us because the decision has been made. The news that Allah is choosing to question rebellious, rather than simply not creating them, thus one of the essence of religion is on how to avoid being rebellious.

• Awais Khan

Member July 31, 2023 at 11:49 am

But Allah knows beforehand who the rebellious would be. You are saying that Allah is just, therefore he created the rebellious instead of not creating them?

• Saad Aamir

Member July 31, 2023 at 12:34 pm

I am saying that Allah will not let the rebellious go without questioning.

He lets the obedient go.
      He will not let the rebellious go.

Rebellious will not be treated the same way as the obedient. Especially in case of someone who e.g got murdered and wants justice against the murderer. Allah will not save the murderer from punishment by not creating them. Instead He will question them for the crime. He will save the obedient (the one who did not murder or repented) by saving them from punishment, but not the rebellious.

Allah treating the obedient differently from the rebellious is Justice.

• Awais Khan

Member July 31, 2023 at 2:13 pm

My original question stays then. Why did Allah create the rebellious when He knew they would rebel and go to Hell forever. Free will is irrelevant here as Allah knew these people would make bad choices. Allah could have spared them from punishment by not creating them.

• Saad Aamir

Member July 31, 2023 at 2:15 pm

And my answer stays.

Allah will not spare the rebellious.

He only spares the obedient.

And Allah knows, He did not force anyone to do any actions, He simply knew, not forced anyone. Everyone did everything on their own accord.

• Awais Khan

Member July 31, 2023 at 2:18 pm

But that is not the point of my question. It is understandable that Allah will punish the rebellious, but why did He create them if He knew Hell was their final destination. Again free will is out of question because Allah already knows what decisions the rebellious will make with their free will.

• Saad Aamir

Member July 31, 2023 at 2:22 pm

Knowing something does not remove free will.

Rebellious are deserving of punishment, so Allah punished them.
      Obedient are deserving of reward, so Allah rewarded them.

According to your logic, Allah shouldn’t reward people either if He knew who will succeed, hence “free will is out of question”.

• Awais Khan

Member July 31, 2023 at 3:21 pm

I agree that Allah knows but does not interfere in our actions. But Allah already knows what decisions the rebellious will make out of their free will. Please consider this example. If on the Day of Judgement Allah says to me that you will go to Hell, Nauzubillah, I can object and say why did you create mr if You knew I will reject your guidance and will rebel with my free will. You could have spared me from eternal Hell by not creating me.

• Saad Aamir

Member July 31, 2023 at 3:23 pm

And I ask you:

Why should Allah spare you if you are rebellious by choice?

• Awais Khan

Member August 1, 2023 at 1:22 pm

But I would say it was better if you had not created me in the first place.

• Saad Aamir

Member August 1, 2023 at 1:29 pm

Well Allah disagrees.

It is better for the rebellious to be created and reach the final destination of Hell, for the crimes they have committed. They don’t get to escape the judgment of Allah.

Those who deny the truth will be told, ‘Allah’s hatred of you is greater than your hatred of yourselves. You were called to the faith but you denied it.’ They will plead, “Our Lord! You made us lifeless twice, and gave us life twice. Now we confess our sins. So is there any way out?”˹They will be told, “(No!) This is because when Allah alone was invoked, you staunchly disbelieved. But when others were associated with Him in worship, you readily believed. So today judgment belongs to Allah alone—the Most High, All-Great.” (40:10-12)

• Awais Khan

Member August 1, 2023 at 1:59 pm

If a human creates souls to torture them that would be considered evil. Some people even abort pregnancies if the fetus suffers from extreme genetic illnesses. They do that to save them from a painful life.

• Saad Aamir

Member August 1, 2023 at 2:02 pm

Because the fetus is innocent and may deserve mercy.

The rebellious are not innocent and do not deserve mercy.

Allah does not care for the rebellious.

• Awais Khan

Member August 1, 2023 at 2:05 pm

In this example the rebellious are like the fetus with genetic disorders. Allah knows they will have a painful ending but he still created them.

• Saad Aamir

Member August 1, 2023 at 2:08 pm

He wants the rebellious to suffer.

In our limited knowledge, we don’t know about fetus and their actions. We assume they are innocent and try to save them from pain because of our assumption.

Allah is not limited by any law, morality, lack of knowledge or emotion so do not compare Him to humans.

He wants the rebellious punished, He has full power and right to do this. He has no love for the rebellious.

• Awais Khan

Member August 1, 2023 at 5:59 pm

So Allah has already decided he will create rebellious people and then punish them, because he is not bound by any law or morality?

• Saad Aamir

Member August 1, 2023 at 6:01 pm

Yes.

That’s how He does anything, to be honest.

He is not questioned about what He does, but they will be questioned. (21:23)

• Awais Khan

Member August 27, 2023 at 4:39 pm

How can I love and worship such a God who knowingly creates people just to torture them.

• Saad Aamir

Member August 28, 2023 at 6:43 am

Love of God is not being happy with Him or having an emotional attachment to Him. Love of God is preferring His ways over others. It is an intellectual love because it is logical, Allah knows better so we obey Him compared to the ways of a creation that may not know better. This is not a matter of choice, it’s just the only logical conclusion, we simply accept this. And because it is His right, to be worshiped and loved for being our Creator. We have no right to deny Him this.

Secondly, you speak words but they don’t carry much meaning until you first present an actual argument. Allah inflicts pain upon the deserving, you need to formulate an argument against this, that what is Allah doing that makes you unwilling to love Him here. He is not inflicting pain upon innocent. He warns people who deserve pain to not go on this path even when it’s not His obligation to warn people. In fact it’s not even His obligation to be just or merciful but He does that anyway. Allah can do anything, even send people to Hell for no reason but He choose not to. He choose to be fair, He choose to be merciful and He choose to only inflict pain on those who deserve it. That and the other countless blessings He gave me without asking for much or forgiveness when I didn’t deserve it, so yes, I will love Him for this.

Thirdly, you are approaching the problem in the wrong direction. You are asking for God to avoid creating evil people just so He can save them from Hell. They do not deserve such saving, it is not for God to show such care for His worst enemies. But if He does choose to show mercy even to such people, He could always just destroy them instead of putting them in Hell, He could punish them temporarily or even forgive them. All of this is possible and I have mentioned this 3 times in my first three responses. Problem is you have already concluded that He has decided some people to go to Hell, this hasn’t been decided. We need to go to Day of Judgment to see what Allah will actually do. But before that, you have no excuse to reject Him.

Fourthly, even despite all this, you choose to reject Him then it makes no difference to Him. He is self-sufficient, above all needs. It is you who need Him, it is you who needs to avoid His anger. So do what you need and obey Him, He warning us for our sake, even all of Hell is filled and Jannah is left empty, Allah will make it happen and it will not affect Him one bit if He has to punish every evil person who deserves it. So save yourself first, worry about Allah’s actions when it becomes your job to worry about it. Right now, your role is of a humble creation trying to succeed in a test. It is we who have a problem with pain, Allah is above it all.

• Umer

Moderator March 17, 2023 at 6:34 am

Please also refer to the following response by Ghamidi Sahab:

Discussion 37854 • Reply 37856

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register