To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Islamic Sharia Time Bound Ruling In The Quran Or Not

• Time Bound Ruling In The Quran Or Not

Faisal Haroon updated 3 years, 6 months ago 4 Members · 7 Replies
  • Umer

Moderator July 21, 2020 at 5:15 am

Please see if my latest reply here answers this to some extent or not:

Discussion 1265

In very simplistic terms, a verse cannot be considered time-bound when the conditions giving rise to that verse are somewhat permanent in nature.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor October 24, 2020 at 6:45 am

Can’t we just say that this was good advice for 7th century Arabia, and nowadays we wouldn’t usually use this method?

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator October 24, 2020 at 10:09 am

That’s exactly what Umer sahab is providing an argument against.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor October 24, 2020 at 10:14 am

A question arises about this last option: with a change in society and civilization, if exercising the first two options does not bear results and a husband is left with no alternative but to adopt the third option, can a state bind him to not take this step himself and consign this matter to a court of law?

The opinion of this writer is in the affirmative. This is because this alternative is merely another way of following the directive of God and does not annul the directive. It does not make a difference if to reform the wife the punishment is meted out by the husband, the elders of the family or a court of law. It is the will of God that if to save a family, a wife needs to be punished, then she should be punished. It is only a reformatory measure and nothing more.’

Isn’t what I said just a paraphrasing of this?

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator October 24, 2020 at 10:19 am
    • Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor October 24, 2020 at 10:21 am

No- I mean in our society women won’t stop just because you discipline them. So this advice would’ve worked in Arabia where women were kept in a way that discipline would work because of the society. Nowadays it wouldn’t. So this advice was perfect for Arabs and if it works for a tribal society today fine. But for a city dwelling couple, the husband would probably take a different route which has been allowed since the permissibility to hit is not a directive

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator October 24, 2020 at 10:39 am

There’s no evidence to that assumption, and I don’t think that there can ever be an objective way to gather any such evidence. Besides, things in the Quran that are specific only to the direct addressees of prophet SAW are clear from the context. We can’t pick and choose.

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register