Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Islamic Sharia Why Umar (rta) Gave Half Punishment To The Man Who Raped The Slave?

• Why Umar (rta) Gave Half Punishment To The Man Who Raped The Slave?

Posted by Muhammad Sami ud-Din on April 19, 2023 at 10:19 pm

Asselamu aleykum,

Why Hz. Omer (ra) gave half punishment (i.e flogging) to the slave who raped the slave girl, Instead of stoning him to death? What’s the context of this tradition? Why it is believed that generally slaves got half punishments in Islam, even if they committed the worst crimes, such as rape?

Kindly clarify.

Mālik related to me from Nāfi‘ that a slave was in charge of the slaves in the khumus and he forced a slave-girl among those slaves against her will and had intercourse with her. ‘Umar ibn al-Khaṭṭāb had him flogged and banished him, but he did not flog the slave-girl because the slave had forced her.

— Sahih al-Bukhari, 1:85:81, Al-Muwatta, 41 3.15

Muhammad Sami ud-Din replied 12 months ago 2 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • Why Umar (rta) Gave Half Punishment To The Man Who Raped The Slave?

Muhammad Sami ud-Din updated 12 months ago 2 Members · 6 Replies
  • Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar April 19, 2023 at 11:25 pm

Stoning to death is not the only punishment for rape. This kind of crime falls into the category of Fasad fil Ard for which 4 punishments are prescribed in the Quran in sura Al-Maida, one of which is banishment. It was a combined crime therefore, the culprit was flogged for Zina and banished for Fasad fil Ard.

• Muhammad Sami ud-Din

Member April 20, 2023 at 2:42 am

@Irfan76 Sir, But, Why Hz. Omer Faruq (ra) gave half punishment to the slave guy, who raped the slave girl?

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar April 21, 2023 at 12:10 am

What do you mean by the half punishment?

• Muhammad Sami ud-Din

Member April 21, 2023 at 2:28 am

I mean that in the Hudood laws generally the one who is guilty of rape is stoned to death. But, Why did Caliph Hz. Omer Faruk (rta) flogged him and banished him, instead of stoning him to death. Why salves get half punishments for crimes?

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar April 21, 2023 at 7:17 am

I answered it in the first response. There is no mention of half punishment in the narration. He received flogging for Zina and banishment for rape. Stoning to death is not the only punishment for rape.

This is however true that slaves were sentenced half of the 100 strips for Zina. This is because they didn’t have conducive environment and good upbringing due to their living condition in that society which had been practicing slavery before Islam.

You need to learn our point of view on the punishment of stoning to death. Kindly refer to the article Rajam ki saza in the book Maqamaat by Ghamidi Saheb.

• Muhammad Sami ud-Din

Member April 22, 2023 at 1:28 am

@Irfan76 , Ok sir, JazakAllah. Sparkling Heart
    You cleared my doubt, May Allah Almighty bless you and all your loved ones, Amin.

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register