Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Epistemology and Philosophy Balanced Approach To Fear Of Allah

• Balanced Approach To Fear Of Allah

Posted by Abdul Sattar Ahmed on May 14, 2023 at 12:05 am

Salam Alaikum. I stopped watching lectures/bayans of various preachers as it seems that all they do is fear monger. It seems the picture they paint is no matter how hard we try it’s not enough to get into Jannah unless you act like the typical molvi/mullah eg keep long beard/robe/shalwar kameez, shun almost all forms of entertainment, stay away from non Muslims and the list goes on.

Listening to all this had actually caused me to develop mental health issues related to the fear of Allah (the most painful experience in my life which I wouldn’t even want people I despise to go through). However deep down inside I know Allah is not like the perception these people leave (as if he’s looking for the smallest of excuses to throw us into hell 😅) and that it’s most likely the other way around.

The other day listened to this clip by doctor Israr that sort of made me relive the whole experience in which he says something along the lines that if one person commits the smallest of sins consistently on purpose so much so that he has 1% bad deeds and 99% good deeds then he’s doomed.

Can anyone plz explain the reality of this whole issue and how one should reconcile or have a balanced approach to fear of Allah. Jazakallah Khair!

Abdul Sattar Ahmed replied 11 months, 2 weeks ago 3 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • Balanced Approach To Fear Of Allah

• Umer

Moderator May 15, 2023 at 6:01 am

The fear of God, from the perspective of believers is not the kind of fear that you feel after seeing a snake or lion for instance, this is more of a fear of not displeasing one’s God, whom one believes on rational grounds and after believing that, submits himself to His will. This is the definition of Muslim. Thus, after submitting one’s will to Allah, one naturally tries not to do anything which displeases the God. This is the kind of fear that stems out of love, the same way a child child fears his father despite loving him so much to not displease him.

Please refer to the video below from 39:48 to 43:41

• Umer

Moderator May 15, 2023 at 6:01 am

Please also refer to the video below from 41:53 to 43:58

• Nadeem Minhas

Member May 16, 2023 at 6:32 am

Brother, I totally agree with you. My understanding of Quran helps me understand that going to Junnah is extremely easy and Allah has made sure to make it easy for humans.

For example, there is only one thing among our obligations to Allah that Allah will not forgive and that is Shirk.

The only requirement to get into Paradise is to believe in Allah, the last days, the angels, the prophets and the holy books. (Nothing difficult here) Beyond this a Muslim has to perform righteous deeds.

Any unintentional mistakes will be forgiven if a person sincerely asks for forgiveness immediately after committing mistake and try its best to not commit mistake again; especially intentionally.

Following is something that shows that Allah has made it very easy to earn Paradise. Allah will count a mistake as a single mistake, but a good deed will be rewarded 10 to 700 times. Doesn’t it make it so easy to tip the balace in favor of rewards for good deeds against mistakes to easily earn Paradise?

• Abdul Sattar Ahmed

Member May 16, 2023 at 7:05 am

Yes Brother I think I do agree with you. The fear of Allah should be similar to the one that Umer Bhai explained above, ie fear of displeasing a loved one rather than fear of a king. Hence this fear should bring you closer to Allah Rather than turn one into an extremist, a nutcase or both.

Even if we look at the Hadith corpus there is one Hadith which I feel shatters everything these fear mongers stand for in which a bedouin came to the Prophet (pbuh) and asked him the easiest way to Jannah upon which the prophet replied that it was to just fulfill all the farz. After the bedouin left the the prophet (s) told his companions (I’m paraphrasing) that this guy is Jannati.

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register