Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Islam and Family Dowry And Role Of Daughter

Tagged: ,

• Dowry And Role Of Daughter

Posted by Sevda Koksal on June 5, 2023 at 9:13 am

salam…Sir daughters are consider to be burden due to dowry system and that is the main reason people don’t wish to be having daughters. As a daughter, i feel worthless and burden on my parents.I don’t want to be part of this dowry system.But obviously my parents would object my desicion if i refuse to take dowry.And may be they are right because it is not just part of our culture(Pakistani) but like a sacred deed.So, what should daughters do in this kind of situation?

Dr. Irfan Shahzad replied 10 months, 4 weeks ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • Dowry And Role Of Daughter

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar June 6, 2023 at 4:12 am

It is not a sacred deed at all. It has nothing to do with religion. This is a cultural activity. To take dowry or not is, unfortunately, not your choice but of the boy and his family. They should not demand it or you may ask them not to demand it and in return you may not demand to have jewelry from them, for example. In fact, it is basically the responsibility of the husband to provide for her wife. The wife is not responsible to bring a dowry for her husband. but cultural norms take their course.

However, if dowry is not a burden on the parents they may give whatever they feel need to give to their daughters.

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register