Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Islam and Family Divorcing The Wife On Mother's Command?

Tagged: ,

• Divorcing The Wife On Mother's Command?

Posted by Momin Khan on June 6, 2023 at 7:27 am

I have a question. I am married to a nice girl. she likes me and I like her. But now my mother wants me to divorce her. What should I do? Should I divorce her? I discussed this matter with my friend. My friend told me that you should listen to mom when I asked him why when my wife is not guilty. Then he told me about this Hadith.

Sayyida Umayma (Allah be pleased with her) – the freedwoman of the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace) – relates that I was pouring water over the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace) for his ablution when a man entered and said: “Advise me” The Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace) replied: “Do not associate anything with Allah (shirk) even if you are cut to pieces and burnt alive. And do not disobey your two parents even if they command you to part with your wife and worldly possessions: leave them all….” (Tabrani in his Mu’jam al-Kabir, 24/190 Similar narrations have been narrated by Mu’adh ibn Jabal, Ubada ibn Samit, Abu al-Darada (Allah be pleased with them all)

Umer replied 10 months, 4 weeks ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Divorcing The Wife On Mother's Command?

Umer updated 10 months, 4 weeks ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar June 7, 2023 at 2:52 am

Kindly keep in mind that no principal stance is extracted from a hadith, especially from a single narration. Hadith is the but the application of the principles set in the Quran and the perpetual sunnah of the prophet. Ahadiht are seldom narrated in their complete context. Zulm cannot be done at the command of anyone including parents. If your mother has some valid reason that must be presented before the impartial arbitrators and the matter should be decided with a complete sense of justice.

In the Quran, Allah has advised us to behave well with our parents but He never asked us to obey them unconditionally. It is only the prerogative of Allah to obey Him unconditionally and absolutely. The rest of all human beings have to prove the validity of their commands to obey or not.

If you feel your mother is not right in her demand, it is your moral duty not to divorce your wife, it will be a zulm and you will be answerable to God for committing this zulm on an innocent girl. God has not obliged you to commit zulm at the behest of your mother.

In the above narration, if it is authentic, it might be about a person whose special case dispute was in the knowledge of the prophet already and he advised him accordingly. and the prophet knew that in that particular case, the mother of the man was on the right.

For a better understanding of the rights of parents and the validity of their authority, you may read the following article of mine.

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar June 7, 2023 at 3:13 am
  • Umer

Moderator June 8, 2023 at 12:51 am

For comments of Ghamidi Sahab, please refer to the link below from 22:08 to 23:32

ilm-o-Hikmat 10-04-2016

___

Please also refer to the video below from 23:51 to 25:24

https://youtu.be/KxggATczJAk?t=1431

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register