Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Islamic Sharia Abortion In A Toxic Marriage/Divorce And Early Pregnancy

Tagged: 

• Abortion In A Toxic Marriage/Divorce And Early Pregnancy

Posted by Usman Zahid on June 13, 2023 at 4:09 am

Dear Ghamdi sb,

I seek your guidance on a complex issue related to abortion within Islamic law.

The situation involves a married couple in a severely toxic/abusive relationship, planning to divorce. The wife is now pregnant, less than 40 days along. Given their irreconcilable differences and inability to provide a healthy environment for a child, the mother is considering an abortion, the father was hesitant at first because he thought it’s haram but after detailed research and studying viewpoints of different scholars he is partly convinced because both know for sure that this marriage won’t work and both want divorce and in this situation the child will suffer.

In this context, is abortion permissible, particularly within the first 40 days? I refer to the Hadith reported by Abdullah ibn Mas’ud (Sahih Bukhari, Book 77, Hadith 594; Sahih Muslim, Book 33, Hadith 6390) describing the stages of embryonic development.
    I appreciate your guidance and any references to Quranic verses, Hadiths, or scholarly opinions that inform your response.
    Best regards,Usman

Umer replied 10 months, 3 weeks ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Abortion In A Toxic Marriage/Divorce And Early Pregnancy

Umer updated 10 months, 3 weeks ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar June 13, 2023 at 4:33 am

According to Ghamidi saheb and also other fuqaha that child in the womb does not attain the status of a human before 120 days. However, there must be an ethically valid reason to abort it. Now this has to be decided by the parents with all honesty and God-fearing to decide abortion. This is only their sense of justice that can tell and guide them on what is ethically justifiable. For details, refer to the following video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFZdNZVYBkI

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar June 14, 2023 at 3:28 am
  • Umer

Moderator June 14, 2023 at 5:37 pm

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register