Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Islam and Family Is It Obligatory To Bear The Cultural Expenses Of My Sister's Wedding?

Tagged: ,

• Is It Obligatory To Bear The Cultural Expenses Of My Sister's Wedding?

Posted by Md Asif Iqbal on June 14, 2023 at 4:30 am

As salam alaykum Sir,I’m a resident of Kolkata,India.

I’m Married and have a child of 6 months.

In future my sister is getting married soon, and as per our cultural norms my parents want to gift jewellery to my sister at the time of the wedding,and they want me to provide that

It is hard for me to take this financial burden.I do take care of the financial expenses of my parents, but will be unable to bear this expense.

Is it fard for me to bear this?will it affect my akhirah if my parents are angry at me for not bearing this expense?

Dr. Irfan Shahzad replied 10 months, 2 weeks ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • Is It Obligatory To Bear The Cultural Expenses Of My Sister's Wedding?

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar June 14, 2023 at 4:36 am

No such things are made fard in Shariah. These are our cultural norms and should be dealt with accordingly. If you cannot afford it, you can request your parents to excuse you. It is our social responsibility to make expenses within our means and should not create unnecessary problems. But you cannot change society overnight.

Now this is your sense of justice and ethics which should decide for you to see how to support your family according to the means available to you in this time of need.

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register