Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Sources of Islam Relevance Of Questions To Jews Of Today Addressed In Surah Baqarah

Tagged: ,

• Relevance Of Questions To Jews Of Today Addressed In Surah Baqarah

Posted by Syed Faizan on June 15, 2023 at 12:03 am

As salaam u alaykum,

Why are Jews being questioned about the acts of their ancestors (i.e killing and disbelieving prophets) ?

Their ancestors going back around 40-50 generations might have done it since there’s no prophet between Isa(as) and Mohammad (saw). It seems very natural for Jews to reject these verses as something being said without any proof. Anybody can say anything about ancestors going back those many generations, and specially in those times when there wasn’t much recorded history.

Surely, Torah wouldn’t have prophesized this fact either that Jews will kill future prophets. So why would a community will take such claims which belittle their ancestors without any proof when they dont believe in Quran which was revealed and the prophet who was bringing it to them.

What is the significance of these verses then in current times for us?

Sorry in advance for my ignorance.

Jazak’Allah

Syed Faizan replied 10 months, 3 weeks ago 3 Members · 10 Replies
  • 10 Replies
  • Relevance Of Questions To Jews Of Today Addressed In Surah Baqarah

Syed Faizan updated 10 months, 3 weeks ago 3 Members · 10 Replies
  • Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar June 15, 2023 at 2:29 am

The Jews at the time of the prophet were having and showing the same behaviour as was of their ancestors, they used to disobey God despite knowing the facts, they used to tease and kill their prophets and the same they were trying to do with the prophet, moreover in the matter of Christ, they own what their ancestors did to Jesus.

• Syed Faizan

Member June 15, 2023 at 3:02 am

But they never owned killing prophets aa claimed in the verses in Surah Baqarah.

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar June 15, 2023 at 3:10 am

They owned the killing of Jesus and they were pursuing the killing of the prophet Muhammad (PBUH). So they were actually true in spirit heirs of their ancestors who used to kill the prophets. In the same manner, we label a person like, for example, the spiritual son of a traitor like Mir Jafar or a dictator like Hitler when we see the same traits in him.

• Syed Faizan

Member June 15, 2023 at 3:24 am

Yes, agree to an extent. We will label if we see the same traits as father since we are human, but Allah (SWT) will not use the same analogy.

My query is more focussed on the gap of centuries and centuries between the last prophet the human race (specially Jews) witnessed and the changes/evolution in a community.

If my 600 year old ancestor was Changez Khan, I can’t be judged or treated like him when I haven’t shown any such traits. Or are these verses specifically for a small section of Jews community who were reporter nefarious? Do we have any such indication from Qur’an?

Jazak’Allah

• Umer

Moderator June 15, 2023 at 11:12 pm

Jews of today are believers in God and the history of jews is different from the rest of the nations since they have been transmitting their history from generation to generation in the same way. Therefore, they are well aware of their history. Quran uses historical references from their own history and sometimes point them to their own mistakes which a small group of their ancestors committed and sometimes mistakes which were committed by the leaders/scholars of their ancestors were mentoned. The whole generation(s) of bani-Israel is not put on trial because Quran praises those who are pious among them.

Most of this history is well known to the Jews of the past and of today as well. And while describing that history, Quran mentions other crimes which they are overlooking because of certain bias in them. These historical references coupled with itmam-e-hujjat of prophet Muhammad (sws) and certain forms of punishments imposed on Jews of today as prophesized in Quran might give that necessary nudge to the jew of today to come out of their bias and see the problem holistically and identify their mistakes. One can simply deny those crimes as being false, yes it is a possibility, but at the same time all the necessary means have been employed by Quran to help them see the signs. And if there actually was a crime at their end, then it is a well known fact that sometimes consequences of mistakes of one generation are to be borne by the many generations of the future which in this case was none other than breaking the covenant with God.

In today’s time, if we have to identify mistakes of Muslims with reference to their past, we would employ a similar schematics i.e. by giving referecne to Muslims of today as a whole of mistakes committed by a group of them in the past. And sometimes the same history will be used to point out a Mistake which majority of Muslims do not see as one but given the right argument, they can see the sign when seen in an unbiased environement. For example, the issues of Ijma as a source of religion, establishment of Khilafat and kingship as mode of politics, the fiqh/tradition and its status now a days etc.

Following videos address certain dimensions to this question, some from one perspective and others from another perspective.

Please refer to the video below from 00:43 to 8:11

• Umer

Moderator June 15, 2023 at 11:12 pm

Please also refer to the video below from 30:18 to 33:45

• Umer

Moderator June 15, 2023 at 11:13 pm

Please also refer to the video below from 19:40 to 22:28

• Umer

Please also refer to the video below from 17:11 to 18:27

• Umer

Please also refer to the video below from 18:17 to 23:44

• Syed Faizan

Member June 16, 2023 at 12:50 am

Jazak’Allah for a detailed and satisfactory response. I shall be going through the videos as well. May Allah (swt) bless you and the team abundantly.

The discussion "Relevance Of Questions To Jews Of Today Addressed In Surah Baqarah" is closed to new replies.

Start of Discussion
0 of 0 replies June 2018
Now