Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Sources of Islam Quran 4:15 – Yatawafa Here Would Mean That Death Comes To Death?

• Quran 4:15 – Yatawafa Here Would Mean That Death Comes To Death?

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar July 13, 2023 at 4:20 am

Kindly refer to the thread.

Discussion 36823

• Abdullah Ijaz

Member July 13, 2023 at 6:32 am

I am more confused after reading the article because Hassan Ilyas Sahab seems to be understanding tawaffa in 4:15 as death

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar July 13, 2023 at 11:28 pm

تَوَفَّاهُمُ الْمَلَائِكَةُ and يَتَوَفَّاهُنَّ الْمَوْتُ render the same meaning to give death by angels or by death. It is just like death took him away. This is another way to tell someone died.

The meaning of a word is not determined by a single instance. It is well known that when the word Tawffa is used for a person, it means death unless the context tells it is not. In the case of its use with a person, its figurative meaning becomes primary. This is the use of language and language is not logic.

• Abdullah Ijaz

Member July 14, 2023 at 4:24 am

Thanks for answering sir but I have few more questions if answered they might clear my doubt
      is the Faa’il in 4:15 angels or death? is death haqq? If death is haqq how the meaning of death be taken in 4:15?

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar July 18, 2023 at 2:50 am

in this verse, the fail or subject or agent is death. There is no mention of any Haqq here, or I may not understand your question.

I explained above how meanings are derived and how here the word gives the meaning of death.

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register