Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Sources of Islam Context Of Sahih Al-Bukhari 5825

Tagged: ,

• Context Of Sahih Al-Bukhari 5825

Posted by Muhammad Sami ud-Din on July 13, 2023 at 3:13 pm

Asselamu aleykum,

I have got this hadith, which the Islamophobic guy used on his Quora post, to show Islam as misogynistic. What’s the context of this tradition?

Kindly clarify.

Narrated Ikrima:Rifaa divorced his wife whereupon AbdurRahman bin Az-Zubair Al-Qurazi married her.Aisha said that the lady (came), wearing a green veil (and complained to her (Aisha) of her husband and showed her a green spot on her skin caused by beating). It was the habit of ladies to support each other, so when Allah’s Messenger (ﷺ) came, Aisha said, "I have not seen any woman suffering as much as the believing women. Look! Her skin is greener than her clothes!" WhenAbdurRahman heard that his wife had gone to the Prophet, he came with his two sons from another wife. She said, “By Allah! I have done no wrong to him but he is impotent and is as useless to me as this,” holding and showing the fringe of her garment, Abdur-Rahman said, "By Allah, O Allah's Messenger (ﷺ)! She has told a lie! I am very strong and can satisfy her but she is disobedient and wants to go back to Rifaa.” Allah’s Messenger (ﷺ) said, to her, “If that is your intention, then know that it is unlawful for you to remarry Rifaa unlessAbdur-Rahman has had sexual intercourse with you.” Then the Prophet (ﷺ) saw two boys with Abdur- Rahman and asked (him), "Are these your sons?" On thatAbdurRahman said, “Yes.” The Prophet (ﷺ) said, “You claim what you claim (i.e.. that he is impotent)? But by Allah, these boys resemble him as a crow resembles a crow,”

Umer replied 10 months ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Context Of Sahih Al-Bukhari 5825

Umer updated 10 months ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar July 13, 2023 at 11:57 pm

Ahadith are narrated by people on their own. They are not with their context and the necessary details. Therefore it is useless to make them a basis to infer or deduce anything independently from them.

The woman in the hadith seems to be a lair. She used her second marriage to marry her former husband and for that purpose, she was torturing him by not letting him come near to her and telling lies about his impotency. She wanted to get divorced with all the benefits. The man might have beaten her, as it had been a practice then when he realized that he was used as a tool to get her to her former husband. His anger is understandable. The prophet had forbidden his followers from beating their wives on some other occasions and told them that the best among you is the one who is good with his wives. But in that case, his comments about her beating are not reported. But this kind of behavior with wives was not approved by the prophet.

The prophet when realized the plan of the woman ordered her to consummate her marriage before she could get divorced.

The society runs with rules and everyone has to comply with the rules.

• Umer

Moderator July 14, 2023 at 5:29 am

The narration has been taught by Ghamidi Sahab in the context of clarifying and rebutting traditional view on Halala, but the context of this narration also becomes abundantly clear:

Please refer to the video below from 23:45 to 28:07

• Umer

Moderator July 14, 2023 at 5:29 am

Please also refer to the video below from 2:13 to 11:14

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register