Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Sources of Islam Quran 44:24 – Moses (sws) Already Know To Leave The Sea To Its Original State?

Tagged: , ,

• Quran 44:24 – Moses (sws) Already Know To Leave The Sea To Its Original State?

Posted by Omer Attiq Ahmed on July 27, 2023 at 7:40 am

AoA

I always begin mentioning the GCIL outstanding achievements and provisioning of this platform to ask questions.

Translation of the subject mentioned verse suggests that Musa was already instructed to leave the sea to its original state. Even before the event happened.

I have attached translation from Mezan. I was under the impression that Musa didn’t knew what to do when they ended up infront of the sea. But it seems like he got a hint from Almighty in advance ?

There is continuity in Ghamidi Sahab’s translation but there is no continuity in other translations. From example I have attached Amin Ehsan’s translation from Islam 360. First ayat sounds like instruction from Allah, following ayat seems like the event already happened. Can’t see “rabt” of ayats here.

If Ghamidi Sahab’s translation is taken, it appears Musa already knew he had to split the sea .. Would that be a correct assumption ?

And in other translation, I can’t make a “rabt” between the ayats.

Thanks

Dr. Irfan Shahzad replied 9 months, 1 week ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Quran 44:24 – Moses (sws) Already Know To Leave The Sea To Its Original State?

• Umer

Moderator July 29, 2023 at 4:08 pm

It appears from Ghamidi Sahab’s translation that it was told to Prophet Moses (sws) beforehand at the same time when He was asked for the exodus. And this is complemented from another place in Quran 20:77 where the first part of the miracle is being told to Prophet Moses (sws) i.e. how and where to split the sea; and from the context it is clear that this dialogue and the one mentioned in Quran 44:24 where the second part of the miracle is mentioned i.e. place the sea back to its original state happened at the same time:

وَلَقَدْ أَوْحَيْنَا إِلَى مُوسَى أَنْ أَسْرِ بِعِبَادِیْ فَاضْرِبْ لَهُمْ طَرِيْقًا فِیْ الْبَحْرِ يَبَسًا لَّا تَخَافُ دَرَكًا وَّلَا تَخْشَى. فَأَتْبَعَهُمْ فِرْعَوْنُ بِجُنُودِهِ فَغَشِيَهُمْ مِّنَ الْيَمِّ مَا غَشِيَهُمْ. وَأَضَلَّ فِرْعَوْنُ قَوْمَهُ وَمَا هَدَى

[After this, some time passed until the truth was conclusively conveyed. Then] We revealed to Moses: “Set off with My servants at night. Then when [you encounter] the sea make a dry path for them [with your staff; you will be able to safely go across]. You will neither have any danger to get caught by anyone nor any fear of drowning.” [Then when they set off], the Pharaoh followed him with his armies. Then he and his armies were covered by the sea with that which covered them. In reality, the Pharaoh had but led astray his nation; he did not show [it] the right path. (Quran 20:77-79)

(Excerpt from Quranic Exegesis: Javed Ahmed Ghamidi)

(English Rendering by Dr. Shehzad Saleem)

__

فَدَعَا رَبَّهُ أَنَّ هَؤُلَاءِ قَوْمٌ مُّجْرِمُوْنَ. فَأَسْرِ بِعِبَادِیْ لَيْلًا إِنَّكُم مُّتَّبَعُوْنَ. وَاتْرُكْ الْبَحْرَ رَهْوًا إِنَّهُمْ جُنْدٌ مُّغْرَقُوْنَ.

[They were not the slightest affected by this.] So, finally he called out to his Lord: “These are a wrongdoing people.” It was directed: “So, depart with My servants during the night and be aware that you will be followed”. And, yes leave the sea at ease [once you cross it]. Undoubtedly, this is now an army destined to drown.(Quran 44:22-24)

(Excerpt from Quranic Exegesis: Javed Ahmed Ghamidi)

(English Rendering by Dr. Shehzad Saleem)

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar July 30, 2023 at 1:01 am

Moses alredy knew that the sea would split but he was waiting for the happening which is mentioned in 26: 62-63 when God instructed him to hit the water with his staff so that the miracle starts. Ghamidi saheb and Ishlahi saheb are in agreement with the sequence of the events however Islahi’s translation and his note does not explicity make it clear that the later part of the revelation was beforehand or at the time of happening of the miracle. However, since the revelation in reponse to Moses prayer is a continuous one, therefore this all information is beforehand. In this sens, Although Islahib saheb used the word چھوڑ دو but he used the future tense further that Pharoah and his army would drown, therefore چھوڑ دو essentially means چھوڑ دینا which is translated by Ghamidi saheb.

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register