Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Islamic Sharia What Types Of Expressions In Poetry/Lyrics Can Be Considered Decent/Permissible

Tagged: , ,

• What Types Of Expressions In Poetry/Lyrics Can Be Considered Decent/Permissible

Posted by Abdul Sattar Ahmed on July 30, 2023 at 9:47 pm

I’m already aware that if any sort or poetry goes against Islamic beliefs and values it should be refrained from (eg promoting shirk, lewdness, harming others etc).

However is there more that meets the eye when it comes to poetry and other arts?

For example a lot of south Asian songs about love have the lyrics “main tumharay bina ji naheen Sakta” once heard a hardliner cleric (not a native Urdu speaker though) say something along the lines that saying such things is bad because you are supposed to Live for Allah and no one else.

Similarly in another song about author having nothing to loose the lyrics goes like “aagay Kuch bhi naheen hai bemaqsad yeh Zindagi hai ab mujhay koi dar naheen hai” one could raise a similar objection about the “bemaqsad yeh Zindagi hai” part.

Essentially my question is that is poetry expressing human feeling of suffering/longing/struggling can be considered to be Haram if it has wordings like the ones above?

Abdul Sattar Ahmed replied 9 months, 1 week ago 2 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • What Types Of Expressions In Poetry/Lyrics Can Be Considered Decent/Permissible

Abdul Sattar Ahmed updated 9 months, 1 week ago 2 Members · 6 Replies
  • Abdul Sattar Ahmed

Member July 30, 2023 at 11:40 pm

Also to further add to my question what about poetic expressions which may contain a reference of God but one is not sure if it sounds right or not:- in this case it’s of a sad song/poem which has a line “Na janay kab rootha mujh se mera Khuda”

• Umer

Moderator July 31, 2023 at 9:42 am

Poetry/songs/Novels which include Fawahish (open lewdness/expressions of vulgarity) are clearly prohibited. Similarly, the ones which invoke any deity other than Allah (as polytheism) are also clearly prohibited. Besides these clear scenarios, there can be in-between scenarios or grey areas which may sound to one person as belonging to prohibited domain and to another person, as not prohibited; such scenarios have been left for the individual to decide for himself by using his innate moral compass. The lyrics posted by you do not fall in any of the prohibited lines apparently, therefore it is for the person to decide. Poetry does often involve emotions expressed in the form of exaggerated rhymes/metaphors etc. which often do not trangress any religious boundaries.

For further details, Please refer to the video below from 36:54 to 40:27 as to where to draw line when it comes to ‘Fawahish‘.

• Umer

Moderator July 31, 2023 at 9:42 am

Please also refer to the video below from 1:12:04 to 1:16:01

• Abdul Sattar Ahmed

Member July 31, 2023 at 10:01 am

From the response I can conclude that Urdu/Muslim culture poetry is full of romantic themes. Those themes would only be Haram if they were sexualized/vulgar/or be used to defame or for character assassination of someone then.

Hoever what about sad poetry which has expressions of what I mentioned above, can they in themselves be interpreted as being rebellious against Allah or are they open to interpretation and depend on one’s innate moral compass?

• Umer

Moderator July 31, 2023 at 10:15 am

The are also open to interpretation because someone can argue that Prophet Yaqub (sws) also complained to Allah when he was extremely sad. However, the words/lyrics used should be in accordance with the stature of God.

• Abdul Sattar Ahmed

Member July 31, 2023 at 10:21 am

So an expression like “na janay kab rootha mujh se mera Khuda” is fine. But it’s not okay if someone was to express in such a way that he is nauzubila saying something along the lines that God made a mistake or I’m right and God is wrong or God does not know.

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register