Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Islamic Sharia Obligation Of Production Zakat For Wealthy When The Earning Is Below Nisab

Tagged: 

• Obligation Of Production Zakat For Wealthy When The Earning Is Below Nisab

Posted by Suhail on August 18, 2023 at 12:06 pm

I belong to a well off family. My family earnings are enough to sustain our family and we have good amount of wealth as well, Alhamdulilah.

My question is I last year joined a company as an engineer, now after one year i dint have to pay taxes as the income is below taxable income.

Is it necessary to use exemption, can i still pay 10% on gross without using exemptions or its not needed as per our deen?

Kindly enlighten

Umer replied 8 months, 3 weeks ago 3 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • Obligation Of Production Zakat For Wealthy When The Earning Is Below Nisab

Umer updated 8 months, 3 weeks ago 3 Members · 5 Replies
  • Faisal Haroon

Moderator August 18, 2023 at 4:14 pm

If you earn money through production, for example a job, then you are obligated to pay 10% of your earnings in Zakat if you meet the Nisab. However, if your earnings are less than the Nisab then you do not have that obligation. If you still want to spend a certain portion of your salary in God’s way, you may do so without any restrictions, as long as you can fulfill all of your other financial obligations.

• Suhail

Member August 19, 2023 at 3:35 am

Thanks for reverting back.

My point is since I don’t have much responsibility at home, so would the nisab be applicable to me as well.

Secondly how is the nisab set, any pre requisite or just what the state decides.

Since the State in today’s political era take populist measures and raise the nisab to win elections.

So what do u make of it?

Is there any religious guideline for setting nisab?

• Umer

Moderator August 19, 2023 at 5:50 am

Regarding first point, you can always choose to do extra charity. There is no ceiling imposed when it comes to spending in the way of God. Zakat is the minimum amount which is obligatory for every Muslim to pay (if eligible).

__

Regarding second point on Nisab:

For discussion on rationale and guidlines About Nisab, please refer to the following videos:

Please refer from 24:15 to 27:31

• Umer

Moderator August 19, 2023 at 5:51 am

Please refer from 32:23 to 36:46

• Umer

Moderator August 19, 2023 at 5:51 am

Regarding Nisab for Salary, please refer to the following comments of Ghamidi Sahab from 1:00:37 to 1:01:42

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register