Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Epistemology and Philosophy Difference Between Ijma, Tawatur And Khabr-e-mutawatir

• Difference Between Ijma, Tawatur And Khabr-e-mutawatir

• Umer

Moderator August 25, 2023 at 12:50 am

Consensus (ijma) in the context of Quran: means that each and every Companion vouched that what is being transmitted by their very large number is in fact the very Quran revealed to Muhammad (sws). What, in other words, is implied is that none of them differed upon the transmitted text of the Quran. Since then this consensus has existed in every generation of Muslims with the testimony that what is being transmitted in fact is the Quran. The same mechanism applies to other incidents/events which happened in the history, for instance, Muhammad Ali Jinnah founded pakistan.

Perpetual concurrence (tawatur) in the context of Quran: means that such a large number of people transmit in every stage of transmission a piece of information gathered from the senses that their collusion on falsehood is deemed impossible. In other words, it is the multiplicity of sources that are replicated at every step.

Tawatur in the context of a Narration: means that in comparison to an akhbar-i-ahad which was reported by a few number of people, the mutawatir narration is reported by quite a large number of people. This does not make this tawatur the same as tawatur of Quran and Sunnah because at the time of their orgination, they are still akhbar-i-ahad which either at the time of origination were reported by a large number of people in comparison to ordinary khabr-i-wahid or they were pure khabr-i-wahid to begin with which became famous and started to be reported by a very large number of people at a later stage.

Ijma in the context of Narration (ijma ahl-ul-asar): When scholars of a aprticular time period agree on the above mentioned tawatur of a narration, then it is called ijma of scholars of a particular timeperiod. This is also different from the Ijma used in the context of Quran and Sunnah.

__

Please also refer to the following article of Hassan ilyas Sahab:

Discussion 43739 • Reply 43782

__

Please also refer to the following discussion by Ghamidi Sahab from 20:25 to 38:00

https://youtu.be/IZ7FwiCacvc?si=0ClPEJU9C1o1_1Uw&t=1225

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register