Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Youth and Islam Is Friendship Between Opposite Sex Prohibited?

• Is Friendship Between Opposite Sex Prohibited?

Posted by Ibrahim Ali on August 23, 2023 at 3:43 pm

mY question is

Does friendship between opposite sex haram?

Like my sister got two bro’s

She call them bro’s and they are practically older than even me while she is younger from all three of us

I know them too I also call them bro so it’s almost like a squad and I also have some frnds from my former school ,, included both gender

Even in our family we all cousins are so close we call eachother, frnds or bro’s or sis,, and with other nickname,, we all. Enjoy our time together,,, but here then people from nowhere come and keep calling us bad muslims for being frnds with opposite sex,,

I have researched allover Quran and hadith

I didn’t find even one clue to support this discussion,, kindly elaborate,, it’s

COnfusing

Jazakallah

Ibrahim Ali replied 8 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Is Friendship Between Opposite Sex Prohibited?

Ibrahim Ali updated 8 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • Umer

Moderator August 25, 2023 at 4:36 am

Merely calling a boy one’s brother does not maker him one, but it does create a sort of implied barrier between two parties to extra intimacy. However, this does not mean that frankness with that boy should be of the same level as with one’s biological brother. Only that kind of interaction is allowed where norms of gender interaction as mentioned in Quran can be observed properly (Please see: Discussion 30301). It is more likely than not that a boy and girl talking in that way would at some point deviate from those norms, so a conscious muslim should be highly cautious about such interactions.

There is no prohibition in interacting with the opposite gender as long as one is observing norms of gender interaction as mentioned in Quran, is mindful of the sensitivity of Islam towards adultery and taking appropriate measures to counter any pitfall in this regard. Hadith prohibiting a boy and a girl to sit alone also belongs to the same preventive domain. Since this is a slippery slope that is why great emphasis is given to the precautionary measures as well.

Please also refer to the videos in the following thread:

Discussion 84224

• Ibrahim Ali

Member August 25, 2023 at 4:58 am

Jazakallah 😊.

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register