Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Islamic Sharia Which Novels Are Not Haram?

Tagged: , ,

• Which Novels Are Not Haram?

Posted by Ibrahim Ali on August 26, 2023 at 12:12 am

I have heard a scholar saying that a one can’t read a novel if it is about romance and dark fantasy or other things , like he said it’s allowed if one is reading it for knowledge or if they are reading something in particular for fun which also he gave the list of the types we can read, I won’t mention his name, but he is the deobandi scholar and is known by world,, but still I couldn’t understand that it is a book with novel or story written in it , why can’t a person read a book upon it? Like specially there are Manga bookstore near where I live,, they do sell Manga amd it’s pretty amazing to read them,,. what’s the real rule here,,,?

Umer replied 8 months ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Which Novels Are Not Haram?

Umer updated 8 months ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar August 26, 2023 at 12:18 am

In all such matters, the rule is the following verse that provides 5 criteria to declare something haram. Verse 7: 33

قُلْ إِنَّمَا حَرَّمَ رَبِّيَ الْفَوَاحِشَ مَا ظَهَرَ مِنْهَا وَمَا بَطَنَ وَالْإِثْمَ وَالْبَغْيَ بِغَيْرِ الْحَقِّ وَأَن تُشْرِكُوا بِاللَّهِ مَا لَمْ يُنَزِّلْ بِهِ سُلْطَانًا وَأَن تَقُولُوا عَلَى اللَّهِ مَا لَا تَعْلَمُونَ

Say: My Lord has only forbidden lewd acts, whether open or hidden [338] and usurping rights and wrongful oppression and that you associate with God that for which He did not send down any sanction and that you fabricate something about God that you know not.

If anything like a novel, movie or clothing, etc. falls into any of these five categories, it is haram, if not then not haram and this has to be decided by the person concerned.

• Ibrahim Ali

Member August 26, 2023 at 12:20 am

How can a novel be usurping rights ? And doing wrongful operession

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register