Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Islam and Family Naming My Child Jabbar Or Qahhar?

Tagged: ,

• Naming My Child Jabbar Or Qahhar?

Dr. Irfan Shahzad updated 8 months, 1 week ago 3 Members · 12 Replies
  • Faisal Haroon

Moderator August 28, 2023 at 10:26 am

Please see the following response for a similar issue:

Discussion 69390 • Reply 69409

• Muhammad Rana

Member August 28, 2023 at 11:40 am

Thank you for replying.

From the other discussion what I gather is there is no issues as we won’t be using the Al prefix as Al-Jabbar or Al-Qahhar are specific to Allah only & no one else should used them as names.

The other issue was meaning with Waasi – which i don’t think apply here as Jabbar (mighty/powerful) & Qahhar (powerful/dominant/one who overpowers) have meaning that work without the AL prefix.

Feel free to correct me where you think I have misunderstood or made a mistake.

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator August 28, 2023 at 2:02 pm

That is not what the response referred to above states.

The correct way of naming your child would be Abdul Jabbar or Abdul Qahhar.

• Muhammad Rana

Member August 28, 2023 at 3:29 pm

No doubt that would be the best way- however you mentioned in the other response there is no sin in naming Wasiy without the AL prefix or abdul prefix – i.e that is allowed. Is that not the correct understanding?

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator August 28, 2023 at 3:41 pm

I think that you might have misunderstood something. I clearly stated in the response above that a person’s name should be Abdul Waasi (or with a different spelling Abdul Wasey). Other people should also refer to this person with the same name, however, if someone omits Abdul then it is not considered a sin.

• Muhammad Rana

Member August 28, 2023 at 7:58 pm

Ah ok my bad – thank you for the clarification.

JazakAllah

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar August 29, 2023 at 12:00 am

To me, these adjectival nouns can be used for people, not specific to God unless it is with the definite article AL. It is same the way we adopt the names like Raof, Raheem, Malik etc.

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator August 29, 2023 at 12:45 am

Please watch the video below for Ghamidi sahab’s opinion in this regard:

https://youtu.be/UChgzrdWWuI?si=2ClLpeijrhzp_iL6

• Muhammad Rana

Member August 29, 2023 at 4:32 am

Thanks both.

Just to add to Dr Irfan’s point -https://youtu.be/iZlaRCwrRtw?feature=shared

At the start of the video the cleric mentions Prophet Muhammad (s.a.w) companion by the name of Hakeem ibn Hizam – & Prophet (s.a.w) never asked him to change name.

I have heard of instances where He (s.a.w) asked people to change their names so why wasn’t this companion asked to do the same if this is something which is impermissible.

Thank you again for all your helpSlight Smile

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator August 29, 2023 at 10:08 am
  • Muhammad Rana

Member August 29, 2023 at 5:00 pm

Thank you for replying. I agree that changing name isn’t necessary once you convert to Islam in normal circumstances. However IF a name is not permissible then surely Prophet (s.a.w) would ask a muslim to change their name.

In fact we have read many authentic narrations where He (s.a.w) asked/suggested people should change their name or the name they were giving to their child & these werent even names that had adopted Allah’s names or other names which included shirk – these were just normal names such as Barrah which was changed to Zainab.

So how come the name of Hakeem was left unchanged – would it have been left unchanged if it was hypothetically Al-hakeem? I don’t think so.

Thank you again for your guidance

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar August 29, 2023 at 10:42 pm

Names were asked to change when there was something objectionable in their meaning, either there was an element of Shirk or inappropriate like Barrah, which means goodness and the prophet did not like to say he was coming out from goodness. It did not sound good. In the same way, some people do not like to keep the name Imaan, as it does not sound good to say that Imaan is sleeping or Imaan is not here, etc.

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register