Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums General Discussions Historical Books Containing Verified History

Tagged: ,

• Historical Books Containing Verified History

Posted by Rafi Sheikh on August 29, 2023 at 3:12 am

Kindly suggest some verified books containing verified history of Prophet PBUH last days and the caliphs including how they passed up to Imam Husain RATU post Karbala when brought to Koofa.

میں مستند کتابیں ڈھونڈ رھا ھوں۔

واسلام

Rafi Sheikh replied 7 months, 4 weeks ago 2 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • Historical Books Containing Verified History

Rafi Sheikh updated 7 months, 4 weeks ago 2 Members · 5 Replies
  • Umer

Moderator August 31, 2023 at 4:58 am

There is no such thing as verified history. Historical Narrations are divided in two distinct categories

i) the ones transmitted as established history,

ii) the ones transmitted through akhbar-i-ahad (individual reportings).

The former is credible while the latter cannot be proven in absolute sense. The latter needs to be studied in the light of Established History, Quran, Sunnah and in the light of holistic framework of history which is complemented by logic and common sense.

In addition to this, whenever any historical narration brings into question or accuses character (moral or religious) of any historical figure, then we should be very careful in describing those narrations and should first rigorously exhaust all the resources into verifying the authencity of those narrations (to the best of our ability).

While keeping the above principles in mind, one can read any historical book like:

– Tabaqat Al-Kubra by Ibn-e-Saad

– Al-Bidaya wa Nihaya by Ibn-e-Kathir (Also known as Tarikh ibn-e-kathir)

– Tarikh al-Rusul wa al-Muluk by Ibn-e-Jarir Tabri (also known as Tarikh-e-Tabri)

– Tarikh ibn-e-khaldoon

__

For short comments of Ghamidi Sahab, please refer to the link below from 13:06 to 15:36

ilm-o-Hikmat 05-03-2023

__

For a detailed discussion on the matter, please refer to the following videos:

• Umer

Moderator August 31, 2023 at 4:58 am

• Rafi Sheikh

Member August 31, 2023 at 5:59 am

JazakAllah. Yes I did misspoke re. verified. I meant books of good repute. A student ought to read.

W’salam.

• Umer

Moderator August 31, 2023 at 7:06 am

You can start with Al-Bidaya Wa Nihaya by Ibn-e-Kathir and can follow this up with other books that I mentioned above.

But please do keep the limitations of historical reporting in mind when reading those accounts.

• Rafi Sheikh

Member September 9, 2023 at 7:27 pm

JazakAllah. I will certainly do that. I just want to build knowledge so to be able to reason for myself.

W’salam

The discussion "Historical Books Containing Verified History" is closed to new replies.

Start of Discussion
0 of 0 replies June 2018
Now