Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Epistemology and Philosophy Accountability Of A Muslim For Not Gaining Knowledge Of Religion

Tagged: , ,

• Accountability Of A Muslim For Not Gaining Knowledge Of Religion

Posted by Mohammad Ali Soomro on September 17, 2023 at 6:56 am

Assallam u alaikum.

my question is that if for example a person who does not have children, he does not know what is the Quranic guidance of inheritance. he does not also pay attention or read the part hence this automatically means he doesn’t believe in that too. like for example if he is asked “what is the way for inheritance, is it this […. some format…]?” he says I don’t know which means he doesn’t believe that this format is what is commanded in Quran. then further he is asked “or is it this […some another format…]”, to this also he replies I don’t know. which means he neither believes in any of them nor reject them. just like when an agnostic is asked about God, he doesn’t believe in God and doesn’t reject it too. so would that person be accountable for not knowing and believing in the thing that is written in the Quran?

I mean because believe in Quran also means believe in what is written in Quran I think, so would such person who didn’t have children and didn’t feel the need to know Qurans guidance about inheritance, will he be questioned?

Umer replied 7 months, 2 weeks ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • Accountability Of A Muslim For Not Gaining Knowledge Of Religion

• Umer

Moderator September 18, 2023 at 8:59 am

As a Muslim, the requirements of religion which relate to him at an individual level, he will be held accountable if he does not fulfil the obligatory requirements and it automatically ensues that he needs to have a knowledge of these requirements as well, for example, Fives times Salah, Fasting etc. which are absolute and apply to every Muslim. The matters like Inheritance distribution and Nikah and Tallaq etc. only arise when one is faced with such situations and do not necessarily apply to every Muslim. If one is never faced with such situations, then the requirements of religion relating to these domains are not oblilgatory for that Muslim to know and to follow.

Please see for details:

Discussion 69643

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register