Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums General Discussions Umm Hani Implored Prophet (sws) To Not Talk About Meraj

Tagged: ,

• Umm Hani Implored Prophet (sws) To Not Talk About Meraj

Posted by Nouman Ullah on September 19, 2023 at 6:12 am

کیا یہ روایات صحیح ہے کہ ہند (ام ہانی) ابو طالب کی سب سے بڑی بیٹی تھی جن سے حضورؐ شادی کرنا چاہتے تھے اور غربت کی وجہ سے ان کی ہند سے شادی نہ ہوسکی۔ کیا معراج کی رات حضورؐ ام ہانی کے ہاں ٹھہرے ہوئے تھے اور انہوں نے حضورؐ کو معراج کا واقعہ سنانے سے منع کیا تھا۔ اس کی ذرا تفصیل سے وضاحت کیجئے۔

Umer replied 7 months, 1 week ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • Umm Hani Implored Prophet (sws) To Not Talk About Meraj

Umer updated 7 months, 1 week ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • Umer

Moderator September 25, 2023 at 6:00 pm

First Narration from Umm Hani (Prophet (sws) Sleeping in the House of Umm Hani & Umm Hani imploring him to not tell):

Earliest reporting of this narration is through Ibn-e-Ishaq (d:151H) and it goes as:

رواية أم هانئ عن الإسراء: قَالَ مُحَمَّدُ بْنُ إسْحَاقَ: وَكَانَ فِيمَا بَلَغَنِي عَنْ أُمِّ هَانِئِ بِنْتِ أَبِي طَالِبٍ رضي الله عنها، واسمُها هِنْدٌ، فِي مَسْرَى رَسُولِ اللَّهِ صلى الله عليه وسلم: أَنَّهَا كَانَتْ تَقُولُ مَا أُسْرِيَ بِرَسُولِ اللَّهِ صلى الله عليه وسلم إلا وهو في بيتي: نائم عِنْدِي تِلْكَ اللَّيْلَةَ فِي بَيْتِي، فَصَلَّى الْعِشَاءَ الْآخِرَةَ، ثُمَّ نَامَ وَنِمْنَا، فَلَمَّا كَانَ قُبَيْلَ الْفَجْرِ أهبَّنا رَسُولُ اللَّهِ صلى الله عليه وسلم فَلَمَّا صَلَّى الصُّبْحَ وَصَلَّيْنَا مَعَهُ، قَالَ: يَا أُمَّ هَانِئٍ، لَقَدْ صَلَّيْتُ مَعَكُمْ الْعِشَاءَ الْآخِرَةَ كَمَا رَأَيْتِ بِهَذَا الْوَادِي، ثُمَّ جِئْتُ بيت المقدس فصليت فيه، ثم صَلَّيْتُ صَلَاةَ الْغَدَاةِ مَعَكُمْ الْآنَ كَمَا تَرَيْنَ، ثُمَّ قَامَ لِيَخْرُجَ، فَأَخَذْتُ بِطَرَفِ رِدَائِهِ، فَتَكَشَّفَ عَنْ بَطْنِهِ كَأَنَّهُ قُبْطِيَّةٌ مَطْوِيَّةٌ، فَقُلْتُ لَهُ: يا نبي الله: لا تحدث بهذا للناس فَيُكَذِّبُوكَ وَيُؤْذُوكَ؛ قَالَ: وَاَللَّهِ لِأُحَدِّثَنَّهُمُوهُ. قَالَتْ: فَقُلْتُ لِجَارِيَةٍ لِي حَبَشِيَّةٍ: وَيْحَكَ اتْبَعِي رَسُولَ اللَّهِ صلى الله عليه وسلم حَتَّى تَسْمَعِي مَا يَقُولُ لِلنَّاسِ، وَمَا يَقُولُونَ لَهُ. فَلَمَّا خَرَجَ رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم إلى النَّاسِ أَخْبَرَهُمْ، فَعَجِبُوا وَقَالُوا: مَا آيَةُ ذَلِكَ يَا مُحَمَّدُ؟ فَإِنَّا لَمْ نَسْمَعْ بِمِثْلِ هَذَا قَطُّ؛ قَالَ: “آيَةُ ذَلِكَ أَنِّي مَرَرْتُ بِعِيرِ بَنِي فُلَانٍ بِوَادِي كَذَا وَكَذَا، فَأَنْفَرَهُمْ حِسُّ الدَّابَّةِ، فندَّ لَهُمْ بَعِيرٌ، فَدَلَلْتُهُمْ عَلَيْهِ، وَأَنَا متوجه إلَى الشَّامِ ثُمَّ أَقْبَلْتُ حَتَّى إذَا كُنْتُ بِضَجَنَانَ مَرَرْتُ بِعِيرِ بَنِي فُلَانٍ: فَوَجَدْتُ الْقَوْمَ نِيَامًا، وَلَهُمْ إنَاءٌ فِيهِ مَاءٌ قَدْ غَطَّوْا عَلَيْهِ بِشَيْءِ، فَكَشَفْتُ غِطَاءَهُ وَشَرِبْتُ مَا فِيهِ. ثُمَّ غَطَّيْتُ عَلَيْهِ كَمَا كَانَ؛ وَآيَةُ ذَلِكَ أَنَّ عِيرَهُمْ الْآنَ يصوِّب مِنْ الْبَيْضَاءِ، ثَنِيَّةِ التَّنْعِيمِ، يَقْدُمُهَا جَمَلٌ أَوْرَقُ، عَلَيْهِ غِرَارَتَانِ: إحْدَاهُمَا سَوْدَاءُ، وَالْأُخْرَى بَرْقَاءُ”. قَالَتْ: فَابْتَدَرَ الْقَوْمُ الثَّنِيَّةَ فَلَمْ يَلْقَهُمْ أَوَّلُ مِنْ الْجَمَلِ5 كَمَا وَصَفَ لَهُمْ، وَسَأَلُوهُمْ عَنْ الْإِنَاءِ فَأَخْبَرُوهُمْ أَنَّهُمْ وَضَعُوهُ مَمْلُوءًا مَاءً ثُمَّ غَطَّوْهُ، وَأَنَّهُمْ هَبُّوا فَوَجَدُوهُ مغصَّ كَمَا غَطَّوْهُ، وَلَمْ يَجِدُوا فِيهِ مَاءً. وَسَأَلُوا الْآخَرِينَ وَهُمْ بِمَكَّةَ، فَقَالُوا: صَدَقَ وَاَللَّهِ، لَقَدْ أُنْفِرْنَا فِي الْوَادِي الَّذِي ذَكَرَ، وَنَدَّ لَنَا بَعِيرٌ فَسَمِعْنَا صَوْتَ رَجُلٍ يَدْعُونَا إلَيْهِ، حَتَّى أخذناه

Narration of Umm Hani regarding Isra: Muhammad Bin Ishaq said: The following report has reached me from Umm Hani daughter of Abu Talib, whose name was Hind, concerning the apostle’s night journey. She said: ‘The apostle went on no night journey except while he was in my house. He slept that night in my house. He prayed the final night prayer, then he slept and we slept. A little before dawn the apostle woke us, and when we had prayed the dawn prayer he said, “O Umm Hani’, I prayed with you the last evening prayer in this valley as you saw. Then I went to Jerusalem and prayed there. Then I have just prayed the morning prayer with you as you see.” He got up to go out and I took hold of his robe and laid bare his belly as though it were a folded Egyptian garment. I said, “O prophet of God, don’t talk to the people about it for they will give you the lie and insult you.” He said, “By God, I certainly will tell them.” I said to a negress, a slave of mine, Follow the apostle and listen to what he says to the people, ·and what they say to him. He did tell them and they were amazed and asked what proof he had. He replied that he had passed the caravan of so-and-so in such-and-such a valley and the animal he bestrode scared them and a camel bolted, ”and l showed them where it was as I was on the way to Syria. I carried on until in Dajanan I passed by a caravan of the Banu so-and-so. I found the people asleep. They had a jar of water coverered with something. I took the covering off and drank the water replacing the cover. The proof of that is that their caravan is this moment coming down from al-Baida by the pass of al-Tanim led by a dusky camel loaded with two sacks one black and the other multihued”. The people hurried to the pass and the first camel they met was as he had described. They asked the men about the vessel and they told them that they had left it full of water and covered it and that when they woke it was covered but empty. They asked the others too who were in Mecca and they said that it was quite right: they had been scared and a camel had bolted, and they had heard a man calling them to it so that they were able to recover it.

(Seerah Ibn-e-Hisham (d:213H), 2/36, Shirkatul Tabaa Al-Finyatul Mutahida)

Similar narrations can be found with chain of narrators where it is mentioned that Prophet (sws) was sleeping in Umm Hani’s house at the night of Isra, Narrated in:

Jamay Al-Bayan (Tafsir-e-Tabri) (d:310H) – 17/331, Dar-ul-Tarbiyah wal Turas, Mecca.

Al-Moajjam ul Kabir by Tabarani (d:360H) – Number 1059, Maktab Al-ulum Wal Hakm, Second Edition.

Al-Kashf Wal Bayan (Tafsir-e-Salbee) (d:427H) – Number 1677, 16/178-180, Dar-ul-Tafsir, Jeddah, First Edition.

But all these chains have weak narrators.

__

Second Narration from Umm Hani (Prophet (sws) not Sleeping in the House of Umm Hani & Umm Hani imploring him to not tell):

While there is another narration from the same Umm Hani that on the night of Isra:

…دخل علي رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم بغلس، فجلس، وأنا على فراشي، فقال: “شعرت أنى بت الليلة فى المسجد الحرام، فأتاني جبريل

The Messenger of God, may God bless him and grant him peace, entered and sat down while I was on my bed. He said: “I felt that I spent the night in the Sacred Mosque (Masjid-e-Haram), and Gabriel came to me.“…(and the narration continues).

This is narrated in:

Moajjam by Abi Yala (d:307H) – Number 10, Idara Ulum-ul-Athriya, Pakistan, First Edition

Fazail e Bait-ul-Muqaddas by Abul Muali Al-Muqdassi (d:492H), Number 52, Dar-ul-Fikr, Damascus, First Edition

But all these chains have weak narrators as well.

However, Hadith Scholar Ibn-e-Hajr Asqalani (d:852H) has preferred the second narration of Umm Hani over the first one where it is mentioned that Prophet (sws) had slept in Masjid-e-Haram. Ibn-e-Hajr writes:

قلت: وهذا أصحّ من رواية الكلبيّ، فإنّ في روايته من المنكر أنه صلّى العشاء الآخرة والصبح معهم، وإنما فرضت الصّلاة ليلة المعراج، وكذا نومه الليلة في بيت أم هانئ، وإنما نام في المسجد

I said: This is (the second narration) more correct than Al-Kalbi’s narration (the first Narration), because in his narration it is objectionable that he prayed the night and the dawn prayers with them, and the prayer was only made obligatory on the night of the Meraj, and the same applies to his sleeping in Umm Hani’s house on that night, but he only slept in the mosque.

(Al-Isaba – 8/332, Dar-ul-Kutab Al-ilmiya, Beirut, First Edition)

Therefore, there are two different accounts available in this regard, but the second view seems more appropriate when seen for congruity with Quran 17:1 which makes more sense had Prophet Muhammad (sws) been sleeping or was in a sleep-like state in the mosque (i.e. masjid-e-Haram).

_____

Regarding Marriage Proposal for Umm Hani and rejection by Abu Talib:

Please refer to the following comments of Ghamidi Sahab from 16:37 to 21:50

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register