Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Epistemology and Philosophy Sahih Bukhari In The Light Of Quran

• Sahih Bukhari In The Light Of Quran

Posted by Hasan on September 19, 2023 at 11:13 am

As I understand, among the criteria set by Imam Bukhari to validate ahadith did not include “validation by Quran”. It was only about the Sanad (chain of narrations) and authenticity of narrators, etc. I appreciate that Imam Bukhari was focused only on the shortlisting based on “Sanad” (as it was chaotic and critical at that time) and the validation from Quran can be (could have been) done at any time by scholars later, since Quran is preserved.

My first question is which known scholars contributed towards that pending task? i.e. to further shortlist/filter the Sahih-sanad ahadith of Bukhari in the light of Quran? (because clearly many Sahih hadiths contradict each other and also contradict the Quran).

I understand Javed Ahmed Ghamidi has contributed massively here, but I want to know some names from early era, e.g. Hajar Asqalani? (please correct me if I am wrong) and are there more I should know about if I want to read.

My second question is: Why don’t we have an Ijmaa on those Sahih hadith that clearly go against the Quran? The general Muslim Ijmaa (including scholars) are still blind following and endorsing all Sahih hadith. Why/how?

jazakAllah khair.

Umer replied 7 months, 1 week ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Sahih Bukhari In The Light Of Quran

Umer updated 7 months, 1 week ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar September 20, 2023 at 12:55 am

The understanding of scholars differ on what hadith goes against the Quran and how it goes against it. That is why ijma on every hadith being conformed to the Quran is not possible in the human world.

The the books of fiqh, tafsir, etc. you can find how scholars debate to prove whether a hadith is or is not in conformity with the Quran. But no work is done specifically to tell what Ahadiht are nor in conformity with the Quran, to my knowledge.

• Umer

Moderator September 27, 2023 at 5:56 pm

There is a detailed study on history of criticism on Matan of Hadith done by Jonathan A.C Brown (Georgetown University). In this study, he has provided evidence of Matan Critcism done by early Hadith scholars like Bukhari, Muslim etc. and has also presented the dilemma faced by those early Hadith Scholars when faced with hadith epistemology of mutazilites (due to which they were a bit reluctant to openly criticize Ahadith solely on the basis of Matan). This approach on Matan Criticism took its peak starting from the formal content criteria developed by Khatib Baghdadi which then was upheld for the most part by hadith scholars like Ibn Al-Salah, Ibn al-Jawzi, Shams al-Din al-Dhahabi, Ibn al-Qayyim, Zayn al-Din al-Iraqi, Ibn-e-Hajr al-Asqalani, Shams al-Din al-Sakhawi, Jalal al-Din al-Suyuti and others. Two relevant papers are attached in pdf format.

It must however be kept in mind that task of Matan Criticism is a subjective thing at a scholarly level (even the task of Sanad Verification becomes a subjective matter at times and two hadith scholars may differ on the strength of the same chain of narrators) which entails that there can never be a single universal grading book on hadith.

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register