Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Islamic Sharia Permissibility Of Equivocality And Lies [Tawriah (Double Entendre)]

Tagged: ,

• Permissibility Of Equivocality And Lies [Tawriah (Double Entendre)]

Posted by Mohammad Ali Soomro on September 22, 2023 at 12:44 am

Hello Assallam u alaikum,

my question is that is Tohria (Double entendres), where a person gives someone a double meaning answer where he means something else and wants other person to understand something else etc. it is permissible in all cases, even without need? or it is only permissible in times of need to avoid big problems etc

Dr. Irfan Shahzad replied 6 months, 2 weeks ago 2 Members · 21 Replies
  • 21 Replies
  • Permissibility Of Equivocality And Lies [Tawriah (Double Entendre)]

Dr. Irfan Shahzad updated 6 months, 2 weeks ago 2 Members · 21 Replies
  • Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar September 26, 2023 at 4:11 am

It is the person to decide on the spot whether it is a good time to use it or not. It is used to avoid conflicts and unpleasant situation, big or small makes little difference.

• Mohammad Ali Soomro

Member September 26, 2023 at 4:37 am

@Irfan76 so sir is it permissible even if did for without reason? or it’s not permissible? like there’s no risk or bad thing involved or a good aim to be attained. so still it would be permissible or it would be Haram?

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar September 26, 2023 at 4:51 am

This is all you have to decide. There is no hard and fast rule.

• Mohammad Ali Soomro

Member September 26, 2023 at 4:58 am

@Irfan76 sir if for example someone asks me do you even have a penny, where he wanted to ask that do I have any money? and I reply no I don’t have penny although I had notes. even though I know he won’t ask for money, and I wanted to refuse him. even though I knew he won’t ask money. there was no problem to be avoided or no good goal to be achieved. but I just said it for my own fun and to keep him thinking otherwise for fun, without any reason. this would be fully halal? or similar to lie? or Haram? or small sin?

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar September 27, 2023 at 8:02 am

It could be a simple fun. This is what you can decide.

• Mohammad Ali Soomro

Member September 27, 2023 at 8:15 am

but sir the other person wouldn’t know that I’m joking so he would believe other. thing to be true. still it would be halal? isn’t it like lie? like everything that is found in a lie is there.

. me deliberately wanting the other person to remain in wrong information

all the the things that are make a lie a lie are found here. just if I had said “I don’t have any money” I would have done a major sin of lying. but just becausse a few words are changed like I said “I don’t have a penny” I would be sinless?

even though in both instances the person would stay in wrong information, there’s no big good to achieve or harm to avert but still i do both. in both, my intention is to keep the person in a wrong information. but just a twist of word takes me from doing a major sin to being completely sinless?

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar September 27, 2023 at 8:20 am

This is the human world. Certain harmless avenues are open for us to exploit. When it is not a lie, it is not a sin. simple is that. Gray areas should be left gray.

• Mohammad Ali Soomro

Member September 27, 2023 at 8:37 am

@Irfan76 but sir how would a clear lie in this same particular situation be immoral, if this same thing is not immoral? is it because in literal sense İslam has prohibited lying, in the literal sense (if it’s not tawriya), even though the aim, the situation, the result and consequences of both things is exactly the same. what would make a lie in this same situation (not tawriya) Haram? if the 5 categories of Haram do not fit it, then what makes a lie here Haram?

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar September 28, 2023 at 1:05 am

A lie is blatant and means to deceive or mislead someone. Tawriah on the other hand is to avoid a situation, but not telling a lie. Similarity in some cases does not mean that the nature of both acts are same. They are fundamentally different. It is kind of an excuse that does not make it blatant.

• Mohammad Ali Soomro

Member September 28, 2023 at 1:22 am

so sir if I say a full blatant lie to mislead someone (trying to make him stay in a wrong information) but not in order to harm or usurp his right.

in the other hand, exact same situation. I use tawriyah, in order to mislead him (trying to make him stay in a wrong information) but not in order to harm him or usurp his right.

so would both these cases be halal? or no. and if one is allowed and other in not then what is the illat of differentiating between the two?

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar September 28, 2023 at 1:33 am

Their natures are different.

For example, if one tells a truth still one may misconceive it. The result will be the same: misleading, but the nature of the statement is different.

• Mohammad Ali Soomro

Member September 28, 2023 at 1:39 am

@Irfan76 but sir there’s a difference of wanting to mislead (actively intending) and having a probability but not wanting (which is the case in telling truth).

in the same way, when there’s a difference of helping someone by doing a mubah thing, but wanting internally for that help to manifest into a sinful activity (giving money to someone for to assist him in buying alcohol), and giving someone money but there may be some possibility that he may buy alcohol, even though you don’t intend to give him money to help him in buying alcohol

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar September 29, 2023 at 12:14 am

Seeing your sensitivity, you may choose not to use it. As for others, it is a thing in between truth and lies.

• Mohammad Ali Soomro

Member September 29, 2023 at 12:21 am

@Irfan76 sir if someone who does a tawriyah to make someone think that he would do something in future which is sin. even though in real life he doesn’t intend to do the sin. but through tawriyah he wants to make the other person think that he would do the act.

would this thing be sinful? would it be similar to the one who does sin and tells other about it? or if it would be sinful then in what sense and context.

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar September 29, 2023 at 12:30 am

It is not good. In Tawriah the listener does not get the affirmation but a vague idea of confirmation. That is why, in business transactions and legal matters Tawriah is not allowed.

• Mohammad Ali Soomro

Member September 29, 2023 at 12:49 am

@Irfan76 sir in legal matters, what would be the concept that would make it not allowed?

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar October 1, 2023 at 3:05 am

In legal matters any ambiguity is supposed to harm others.

• Mohammad Ali Soomro

Member October 1, 2023 at 4:08 am

@Irfan76 sir in legal matters you mean matters regarding to rights? or you mean legal in terms of religion. in matters of Haram and Halal? if I do a Tohria to make the other person think that I’m going to steal an item from someone else. but I’m not actually thinking to do it. would it be allowed in such situations?

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar October 3, 2023 at 12:39 am

legal matters belonging to trade and sale and purchase, for example.

The example you mentioned entails unethical stuff. Therefore it is unethical. Tawriah is not about something unethical, it is just to avoid an undesirable situation.

• Mohammad Ali Soomro

Member October 16, 2023 at 10:27 am

@Irfan76 sir if someone is in gray area, how would his judgement be made? will he be sinless if the act really turns out to be halal? and then what about if it comes out as Haram?

Or if it turns our Haram, would Allah hold them responsible to some extent that they did something that belonged to gray area etc?

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar October 17, 2023 at 3:40 am

This has been answered earlier. I hope you remember it and answer it.

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register