Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums General Discussions Thankfullness Vs Selfishness

• Thankfullness Vs Selfishness

Posted by Hasan on September 25, 2023 at 5:08 am

We’re being taught on how we should be thankful to Allah for the best of things He has given us, especially a health, and yes I am thankful Alhamdulillah. However, at the same time, I get triggered when elders say “Look at those with disabilities, and be thankful that Allah gave you hands, legs, eyes etc”. This part my brain cannot process. I feel selfishness and unfairness in such comparison. How can I fully/truly be thankful to the same God who gave me everything while my Muslim brother (assume born disabled) is given less worldly opportunities, struggling every day to do simple tasks. Should I look at him at say Alhamdulillah I am perfectly healthy? I am in a mixed/confused state of being highly grateful whilst be ashamed of being grateful, if that makes sense? It’s difficult to explain my thoughts. I hope someone can understand me, or relate with this, and provide an answer that could stop me from overthinking.

jazakAllah khair!

Hasan replied 7 months, 1 week ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Thankfullness Vs Selfishness

Hasan updated 7 months, 1 week ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar September 25, 2023 at 11:47 pm

This is a good question and reflects your intelligence and sensitivity.

God has created this world for a test whose reward is eternal blessings. Human beings willingly agreed to take this test. This is what God has told us. If one agrees with this divine scheme, the blessings difficulties, and disabilities all are for the test. Everyone will be answerable to God for whatever he is given and what is not. Those who lack something will not have to be answerable for that. Those who face difficulties will have the benefit of practicing Sabr and those who have something are in the test of Shukr. They will be asked how they dealt with the facilities they had.

• Hasan

Member September 26, 2023 at 5:37 am

Thank you Dr. Irfan, that clears my long pending confusion! JazakAllah Khair!

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register