Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Islamic Sharia Creating Apps That Might Be Used For Gambling

Tagged: 

• Creating Apps That Might Be Used For Gambling

Posted by Amin Ansar on September 26, 2023 at 3:50 pm

aoa Ghamidi sahb I am having severe overthinking problems regarding permissibility of certain things. I am a website and app designer and as an example, I created a mobile app for a client using which people can keep record of sports cards that they own in the form of collections and also know their value.

Now, the sports cards collection on its own is not haram but people may become addict of it and may gamble because there is an option of buying packs of sports cards from local stores and hoping for a card of highly value to be inside it when that pack is opened which is like gambling. But that buying process or gambling is not done through the app that I designed and also people have option to buy ethically from other people instead of gambling. It only is to keep record of cards and also know there value and then potentially sell them. What should I do? Is it fine to design something like this which on its own is not promoting gambling and wasting of money but it is upto people but there is a high chance that some people may become addicted to it and gamble a lot, also they may watch the sports which has players not properly covering their ankles and also there might be cheerleaders. The app doesn’t promote it but it is involved in the subject of sports cards.

I want a framework of thinking so that I know if I can work on certain projects or not. I know for sure that if a project is directly related to haram such as gambling, bad kind of movies, etc. I will not work on such a project but other projects that don’t clearly tell they are haram I’m struggling a lot and I am having severe overthinking and stress due to this

Amin Ansar replied 7 months, 1 week ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Creating Apps That Might Be Used For Gambling

Amin Ansar updated 7 months, 1 week ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • Faisal Haroon

Moderator September 26, 2023 at 6:03 pm

You are not accountable for how others might use your app. People can gamble over anything, but you are not accountable for their deeds. As long as there is nothing immoral or polytheistic in your app then it is perfectly halal to create such an app.

• Amin Ansar

Member September 27, 2023 at 12:37 am

Thank you sir, this clears things up for me 🙂

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register